Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook heavy fan noise, bad battery performance

I am experiencing issues with the new MBP Retina 15 Inch Mid 2015 model with Force Touch.

Generally, the fans kick in way earlier and make way much more noise than in my previous, a Mid 2014 model. I find this rather sad, as i choose the MBP also for its quietness. This one however, even runs the fan when idling around, even though then it does so at only low levels. However, in the earlier model i could not hear an idle fan's noise. With this one i can.

Some things also drive the fans up, when the CPU gets used. In comparison, when on my earlier model i launched NetBeans (a development environment based on Java), the fans never went up. I even have an MBA and when i launch NetBeans there, there is no extra fan noise. Both systems run the latest Yosemite. The problem also has a stronger tendency to occur when Flash is run in a browser.

Furthermore, incredibly bad battery performance. When using some basic stuff, like Chrome, my battery life literally gets drained out of the system. A mere 30 minutes caused the battery to drop ~15% today.

The thing is - i had ordered the same model a month ago. Newest. Had all these issues with it, then decided to turn it back in and get a refund from the vendor. I then ordered the same piece directly from Apple. But here i am, experiencing the same issues. Back then, i had the previous machine checked by an Apple Care center, they ran extensive tests, but to no avail. Technically, the machine was fine.

An SMC Reset did not help either.

And the same is certainly the case with the one i am having right now.

Can anyone confirm the issues described above. Has anyone experienced similar problems?

Suggestions?

Many thanks,

Leon

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 23, 2015 5:01 PM

3 replies

Aug 29, 2015 4:03 PM in response to ldjonasson

I've got the same thing happening on my Mid 2015 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB machine even after SMC and PRAM reset. I've checked Activity Monitor and sometimes the apps run high on CPU (when they're not really supposed to) and sometimes they don't and the fans still kick in. My previous Retina was a Late 2013 model with similar specs (2.6 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB) and i've never experienced this behavior before. This is very annoying. I'm wondering if this is normal...I mean even if this was normal, it certainly shouldn't be THIS loud. The noise almost seems like I have a portable box fan running in my room.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Nov 10, 2015 10:11 AM in response to ldjonasson

Same issue here. I just purchased a Mid 2015 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB machine and immediately noticed the fan noise issue. I was previously using an original 2012 MBP Retina that created much less noise doing the same exact tasks. I use it for business and frequently have many applications open, but usually nothing that should stress this machine. Email, Calendar, multiple safari windows, excel, word, etc. The fact of the matter is that the fan noise is much more frequent on this new faster machine than my old one with no real noticeable performance gains. I'm sure the gains are there, but not noticeable in the things I do.

New MacBook heavy fan noise, bad battery performance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.