Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV will not connect to Remote App unless Home Sharing is toggled on/off

My iPhones and iPads lose the ability to control the Apple TV through the Remote App every time the iOS device either locks or you launch another iOS app on the device. The only way to regain the connection is to toggle Home Sharing off/on in the Apple TV... And sometimes I also have to do the same toggling of Home Sharing on the iOS devices.

The Remote App will continue to show an icon for the Apple TV but it is grey.

All devices are on the same network, same Home Sharing ID, and the latest software.

On a side note, I'm experiencing the same issue with AirPlay: every time I steer s new video to AirPlay from my iPad to the Apole TV, I have to toggle the AirPlay setting on the ATV for the video to display. Oddly, the iPad shows the black video window indicating it thinks AirPlay is working

Posted on Jun 23, 2015 4:40 PM

5 replies

Jun 28, 2015 11:26 AM in response to vazandrew

My router is an Airport Extreme (the new tower kind). So I tested the 'other' network solution by moving my phone and my Apple TV to my guest network. That solution worked for about 24 hours, then my the issue reappeared: neither the Remote App nor Airplay would persist between my iOS devices and the Apple TV.

So I turned off the WiFi network option on my Airport, and then I rebuilt my network. Same results: After about a day, the connectivity drops, and both AirPlay and Home Sharing must be toggled off/on on the Apple TV. The only thing that I can see changes daily is the DHCP Lease, so I've reset that option to 10 days. (I admit Ive not found guidance on this setting except for examples including 20+ devices.) I'll update on this idea soon.

Jun 30, 2015 12:24 PM in response to TruTexGuy

After a couple of days, the Remote App again lost connectivity, and the toggling of Home Sharing on the Apple TV is required. Obviously something improved with the changing of the network and then rebuilding my main network since the devices can now reconnect after locking... they just lose it the next 24-48 hours.

Any other hints? You've obviously been a great help, Vanadrew.

Apple TV will not connect to Remote App unless Home Sharing is toggled on/off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.