Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power Mac G5 won´t start, have some liquid leak

Hello to everyone!

I have the Power Mac G5 2 x 2,7ghz (Early 2005)

At first, one time the mac boot ok (only 1 time) with the fans at full speed , then start to show me black screen and never boot again, sometimes chime, sometime not, always get the power on white led on, but before i try several times the PMU Reset button no more chime and no more power led on.

- when pushing power button, the white led turn ON as long as I keep it pushed. If not pushed, it light off but yet the fan are running.

- no chime

- fans turn on normally and the hard drive start

- the screen is black.

- the keyboard is not recognized

- after a minute or more of non activity, the fans start to blow full speed

I have done the reset of PMU several time

I have removed all RAM extensions and left only one pair in slot 1 and changed the pair to avoid a faulty RAM.

I have check the voltage of the lithium battery, the voltmeter says 0v so i replaced with a new one but nothing changed.

I wonder....I have done the problem worse when i push the PMU reset button several time? i did it with battery, with no battery, with AC plugged in

and unplugged too, 1 sec and 30 seg.

Another thing to mention is that i disarmed the CPU block and i see there is a little leak from the cooling system because some cap around the

CPU have green sulfate, could be this the main problem ?

Thanks for you time. Regards

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Jun 23, 2015 10:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2015 5:59 AM

Yes indeed. Liquid coolant leaks can be devastating to the computer in question. You are probably better off getting a G5 that does not have liquid coolant. Though there are ways of repairing the leaks, there is no telling if the existing leak has already damaged the machine beyond repair.

You can always remove the hard drive(s) and connect them to another Mac, but remember PowerPC Mac software is not supported at all on Macs newer than July 2011. And Altivec software written for PowerPC is specifically written for the G5 and won't run optimized on Intel Macs, until an Intel native software replaces it. See this tip:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2295

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2015 5:59 AM in response to AdryanPS

Yes indeed. Liquid coolant leaks can be devastating to the computer in question. You are probably better off getting a G5 that does not have liquid coolant. Though there are ways of repairing the leaks, there is no telling if the existing leak has already damaged the machine beyond repair.

You can always remove the hard drive(s) and connect them to another Mac, but remember PowerPC Mac software is not supported at all on Macs newer than July 2011. And Altivec software written for PowerPC is specifically written for the G5 and won't run optimized on Intel Macs, until an Intel native software replaces it. See this tip:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2295

Power Mac G5 won´t start, have some liquid leak

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.