Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Express printing with no router?

I need to set up printing for my mother and disconnect her cable internet service. Get rid of the service and router all together. I've gotten conflicting answers - from on-line and in the Apple store. I have read through a variety of Help articles.

I had hoped to be able to using only the following:

- a USB non-Airplay printer

- AirPort Express 802.11n (2nd Generation) - to network the printer, local wifi, no internet

- iPad Air 2 (Wi-Fi + Cellular) - internet from carrier

- iPhone 6

- Airport utility on iPad Air 2

I think that I can test by

1) plug in Express (no ethernet to router modem, no relation)

2) on iPad's Airport utility, create a new wifi network which the printer will be attached to

3) send a photo to printer to print

4) set both iPad and iPhone to new wifi network

So if she uses Safari on her iPad (connected to cellular internet) and wants to print something, will this work?

iPad 2, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 23, 2015 8:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2015 9:46 PM

Carefully read this article:

About AirPrint - Apple Support

Note especially the sentence near the bottom that says: "AirPrint devices connected to the USB port of an Apple AIrPort Base Station or Apple Time Capsule don't use AirPrint. If your printer contains AirPrint, connect it directly to your WiFi network or the Ethernet LAN port on your Base Station to print wirelessly."

There is a slight chance there may be an app that the specific printer might use to not use the standard AirPrint method of printing. For example, if she has an Epson printer, there is an iOS app called Epson iPrint with some limited print capability. I don't know whether it could find a printer not on the WiFi network.

Also note this article:

Print from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2015 9:46 PM in response to No life

Carefully read this article:

About AirPrint - Apple Support

Note especially the sentence near the bottom that says: "AirPrint devices connected to the USB port of an Apple AIrPort Base Station or Apple Time Capsule don't use AirPrint. If your printer contains AirPrint, connect it directly to your WiFi network or the Ethernet LAN port on your Base Station to print wirelessly."

There is a slight chance there may be an app that the specific printer might use to not use the standard AirPrint method of printing. For example, if she has an Epson printer, there is an iOS app called Epson iPrint with some limited print capability. I don't know whether it could find a printer not on the WiFi network.

Also note this article:

Print from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Express printing with no router?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.