Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update MacPro 2011 to OS X 10.9 from 10.6.8

Hi All, Is it possible to update a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 to the OS X 10.9 without troubles. My system is already quite slow and I am worried to have more problems with this update. I purchased a new printer that is not supported by the 10.6.8. Thanks

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 24, 2015 12:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2015 1:33 AM

Yes but:

- 4 GB of memory is not really enough. I would upgrade memory to at least 10 GB (replace one 2 GB stick with an 8 GB stick)

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3_133 3MHz_SDRAM

- Note that some previusly purchased apps may not work. See:

Upgrading to 10.7 and above, don't forget Rosetta!

- 10.9 (Mavericks) is not available unless you previously downloaded it, You may have to go to Yosemite (10.10)

Also. replace the rotating HD with an SSD will improve performance

Also, it is best to to a fresh install of the new OS and then migrate only data and do not do an update. Too much stuff that can cause problem will likely migrate if you upgrade

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2015 1:33 AM in response to gaetanogarfi

Yes but:

- 4 GB of memory is not really enough. I would upgrade memory to at least 10 GB (replace one 2 GB stick with an 8 GB stick)

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3_133 3MHz_SDRAM

- Note that some previusly purchased apps may not work. See:

Upgrading to 10.7 and above, don't forget Rosetta!

- 10.9 (Mavericks) is not available unless you previously downloaded it, You may have to go to Yosemite (10.10)

Also. replace the rotating HD with an SSD will improve performance

Also, it is best to to a fresh install of the new OS and then migrate only data and do not do an update. Too much stuff that can cause problem will likely migrate if you upgrade

Update MacPro 2011 to OS X 10.9 from 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.