Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook hangs with no force quit function after update to 10.10.3

I recently updated my Macbook pro 17 early 2011 2.2 16gb 512ssd from 10.10.2 to 10.10.3 and now for some reason it has frozen and lost ability to react to anything from the keyboard, even the Force Quit window won't come up when I try to evoke it.

I have to crash it with the power button. I am concerned that something is wrong because it has never lost its ability to put up the Force Quit window.

This has happened twice since updating the OS last week.

Besides using the disk utility to verify disk permissions, is there anything I can do to try to fix this issue?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), System hangs and has to be crashed.

Posted on Jun 24, 2015 3:40 AM

2 replies

Jun 24, 2015 7:02 AM in response to swarner

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

Jul 3, 2015 4:59 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you for your response and suggestions. I haven't experienced this issue again after experiencing it on two laptops, but I now suspect that it was a problem with how mail version 8.2 was working in conjunction with Gmail. Having disabled all the "save on the server" options, the problem of the system locking up has ceased to exist. I appreciate your thoughts on this issue.

If I were to reword this issue I would say: **Caution** don't allow gmail to save anything on the server (google.com).

Macbook hangs with no force quit function after update to 10.10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.