Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Images not showing in Photo from OS X 10.10.2 to 10.10.3 migration

I migrated from OS X 10.10.2 to 10.10.3 and the Pictures do not show in Photo from iPhoto migration? (Of course iPhoto is no longer available for 10.10.3! ) The images are blank rectangles or solid black on the screen showing all images in an album. When I select one picture, then the large image appears correctly. How do I get images to show on the initial screen which shows all image? I migrated from a Time Machine back up and no longer have the original computer (it has a problem from power flash.) How can I now do a iPhoto back up so if any things I try now, mess up my photo collection, I have not lost all? Suggestions appreciated.

Posted on Jun 24, 2015 7:14 AM

2 replies

Jun 24, 2015 7:31 AM in response to Texas Bear

iPhoto runs just fine on 10.10.3, though if not up-to-date it may require updating. If it does:

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash.

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

From your description it sounds like you might need to repair your Photos.app library, which you can do by holding the command and alt keys while launching Photos.app

Jun 24, 2015 8:23 PM in response to Yer_Man

Update: Thanks Terence for your suggestions:

1. I checked my iPhoto version on this computer and it is: iPhoto 8.1.2

I have another computer with v9.6.1. Do not know why this one is only v8? But that is another story.

I looked at my App Store - Account Info - Purchase History - See All: and it shows 9.6 was purchased:

2/25/15 MH36M215JX iPhoto v9.6

When I go to the App Store - Purchased All: iPhoto does not show up as a purchases item.

When I go to the App Store - iTunes in the Cloud - under: Manage Devices - (to unhide)

There are no Hidden Purchases - item that shows it is hidden. Thus it is not where I can do an update from the App Store.

Thus, it shows I purchased it, but I cannot find it to download.

(Another site states that if iPhoto 9.6 was not installed when the upgrade to Yosemite was done, then it cannot be installed later? )

2. I did the rebuild of the iPhoto library and now some picture images appear, but most are either bland rectangles, or solid black. When I click on one of these images, then the correct picture shows.

3. Can v9.6.1 be moved from one computer to another? That computer is running OS X 10.10.2, and the one with the problem is 10.10.3.

4. I do have everything backed up on Time Machine.

Images not showing in Photo from OS X 10.10.2 to 10.10.3 migration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.