Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery life of Magic Mouse now less than a week.

I have possible a new, and possibly dumb (apologies if so), question regarding the ridiculously short-lived battery life of the Apple Magic Mouse is frustrating me. I know there hasn't been an answer to this issue from anyone that actually solves the problem. I actually envy those who complain that their Magic Mouse "only lasts 60 days" or "...30 days", as mine doesn't last even a solid week now. I shut down my Mac Pro desktop each night, but I do not switch off the Magic Mouse itself because I've read that one shouldn't need to. I also leave my iPhone, with its bluetooth turned on, on my desk for hours while I work, as well as leaving it there to charge each night. My question is: even though the Magic Mouse does not connect with my iPhone, is there any possibility that leaving my iPhone on my desk near my Magic Mouse is related to the battery drain on the Magic Mouse? That is, could the bluetooth from the iPhone (which is turned on all the time) be searching for a bluetooth signal and simply by continually attempting to "try" to connect to the nearby bluetooth mouse be affecting the mouse's battery life? Admittedly, my feeling is that this would not be a reason for the battery problem, but feel I have to ask. I suppose a second question would be: if the Mac is shut down for the night but the mouse is not, is the mouse itself actively attempting to unsuccessfully connect with something, thereby draining its batteries? Thanks.

Mac Pro (2008), 2x2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, OS 10.10.3.

Apple Magic Mouse-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 24, 2015 7:58 AM

3 replies

Jun 24, 2015 11:37 PM in response to chBapple

Personally, I think the drainage via the routes that you have mentioned would be minimal. I am pondering the kind of batteries you are using and their age. Here are some notes I have made on Batteries. Check them out and come back with your views and / or experiences. Leaving your phone or having a phone hub near the computer could well cause interference.

Whether you use regular or rechargeable batteries you should buy the best. Discounted or unbranded batteries are more likely to give a depleted performance and may be of irregular size, often leading to connection problems. Duracell, Eneloop and Energiser appear to be the best. Remember, discounted brand names may well be old stock or fakes.

Rechargeable batteries for the standard Magic mouse are unlikely to exceed eighteen days before needing a recharge although the mouse itself can be a limiting factor. I have seen reports that some Logitech mice vastly exceed this. Apple may suggest more in their sales blurb but this is a realistic expectation. The benefit (if you are organised) is that you can always have charged batteries available. Regular batteries will give you between 25 and 35 days before they need to be replaced. Note. Never mix old and new batteries or rechargeable and regular.

The notes above are based on my personal experience, not shutting down my machine, not turning off the mouse and using it for around four hours per day. Note. Monitors do not always faithfully report battery strength, particularly the rechargeable ones.

When checking your mouse or keyboard batteries ... Turn off the device. Remove the batteries, Clean the terminals both inside the battery compartment and the batteries themselves. Replace or renew both batteries. Turn on the device. You should get a blinking green light if the device is paired. Click the mouse twice to activate it. The green light becomes steady.

Regards, 71

Jun 28, 2015 12:50 PM in response to seventy one

thanks seventy one for your reply. however, none of those checks apply. I'd previously read in the forums those same items to check. I only use brand new Duracel batteries, as I always have. I've never used rechargeables. I've checked the terminals to be sure they are clean. When I replace batteries, the blinking green light and then the steady green light work as they should, and the mouse behaves perfectly. But, after a week or less, they again are apparently dead. If not being drained by other devices searching for bluetooth connections, I now begin to suspect it may be related to recent OS updates, considering I didn't seem to have this problem with this Magic Mouse until the last two or three months (don't remember dates, but I know there was at least one OS 10 update within that time).

If I notice the fast-drain problem ceases, I'll try to remember to post the news.

chB.

Jul 9, 2015 8:13 AM in response to chBapple

Still happening. Another couple battery changes. At best I still getone week (but usually even less) of mouse battery life. None of the usual "solutions" stated here have any effect at all. I still think symptom seems to be that something somehow undetermined is draining these batteries. I will def go to Apple Store and purchase a new USB mouse right away, because I can't keep dealing with the constant battery changes. Otherwise, I have to condition myself to turn off the magic mouse each time I leave my desk and overnights.

Battery life of Magic Mouse now less than a week.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.