Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is some UPnP / DLNA software that will allow my DLNA-enabled stereo receiver to get audio from my MacBook Pro?

Ideally, it would be better than EyeConnect (and ideally free), and it would work with MP3s and OS 10.6.8. I've tried EyeConnect, which doesn't alphabetize my list of artists properly after I had to reinstall my OS for unrelated reasons; Kinsky, which finds but doesn't play my MP3s; Asset UPnP, which worked for a minute but generally reports an error message related to port binding; TVMOBiLi, which requires an online account; Serviio, which is built for a newer OS. Not one of these but EyeConnect, by the way, was "plug and play." Each one is quite complicated, in that they tend to be built for lots of media, not only audio.

My stereo receiver is a Harman Kardon AVR 3700. One would think that Harman Kardon would supply the software so that their receiver would work on a Mac; surely lots of HK customers are also Mac users.

Apple, why won't you support UPnP / DLNA?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 24, 2015 8:07 AM

6 replies

Jun 25, 2015 8:41 AM in response to joelfromst. john's

Check that your computer is compatible with Mountain Lion/Mavericks/Yosemite.

To check the model number hold down the option/alt key, go to the Apple menu and select System Information.

• MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer) model number 5,1 or higher
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer) model number 3,1 or higher

Your Mac needs:

• OS X v10.6.8 or OS X Lion already installed
  • 2 GB or more of memory (More is better - 4 GB minimum seems to be the consensus)
  • 8 GB or more of available space

Check to make sure your applications are compatible. PowerPC applications are no longer supported after 10.6.

Application Compatibility

Applications Compatibility (2)

Do a backup before installing.

Jun 28, 2015 4:25 PM in response to a brody

Thanks for the tips about upgrading and how to find the model number (which for me is MacBook Pro 4.1). Yes, I think my machine is (barely) capable of installing Yosemite. I still don't know if the other UPnP / DLNA software is likely to work after the upgrade. I recently learned of Amarra and jRiver, which I need to investigate.

Jun 29, 2015 4:04 AM in response to joelfromst. john's

The problem is solved with EyeConnect by Elgato. I was having problems with EyeConnect because it was scrambling the alphabetization of the list of artists, and it's not easy to find music when the musicians aren't in alphabetical order. The problem was, in EyeConnect, that the Content pane had some misleading (to iTunes or to my UPnP / DNLA stereo receiver) directory structures. Specifically, EyeConnect was pointed to the general Music folder but not deep enough to find individual artists' folders. Changing the location allowed my stereo receiver to display the content in order.

EyeConnect is the best of the many pieces of software I tried because it is small and simple (and free). It functions as a UPnP / DLNA connection without trying to provide a music or video interface. It doesn't replace iTunes; it simply allows my stereo receiver to bypass iTunes and get the tunes whenever I'm playing them through my bookshelf speakers instead of my computer speakers. Thank you, Elgato! Keep it alive, please.

What is some UPnP / DLNA software that will allow my DLNA-enabled stereo receiver to get audio from my MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.