Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i-photo: need to reduce a photo's size from 4MB to 256 kb to email. How?

i-photo: need to reduce the size of a photo from 4MB to 256 kb in order to email. How?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), i- Mac 27"

Posted on Jun 24, 2015 8:28 AM

11 replies

Jun 24, 2015 9:02 AM in response to to the sea

You can use the Export feature of iPhoto or the new Photos app. Select the image you want to resize, select Export from the top File menu. There you will see options for the format and the size of the exported photo. There is also a Custom option that allows you to specify size. Experiment with those options to get the image down to the size you need. No need to use another application to accomplish this. Your original post says you are using iPhoto.

Jun 24, 2015 12:54 PM in response to lkrupp

The export feature worked well, but not to the "required" level for the web site in question. I suspect there is something amiss with the web site or my approach.

Also, I could drag the slider to a small amount of MB as file size, but when "saved", the file size went back to the original size. I suspect there is something wrong with their web site AND my attempt to load an image. I gave up.

Thanks for the help.

Roger

Aug 29, 2015 7:55 PM in response to to the sea

important here to distinguish the two "sizes" alluded to here:

--the file size ( MegaBytes )

--the size ( in pixels )

You want to reduce the file size of your pic.

Go to "File" , then "Export ".

In "Kind", select "JPEG".

In "JPEG Quality" , select "High".

In "Size" ( this is the pixel dimensions ) select "Large" ( this is the submenu where you will also find "Custom" )

Now click "Export".

In the new export window:

Add "A" to the name of the pic ( this is a first try, and we'll see if the photo is yet small enough )

Choose the destination "Desktop" ( for easy access )

Click "Export"

Go to Desktop, right-click ( Ctrl-click ) your photo, and choose "Get info": look at the filesize...It should be close to what you're aiming.If still too large, repeat the operation, but this time with , in the "JPEG Quality" line, " Medium" selected.

To see what your "new" photo looks like, double-click it, and it should open in "Preview".

Aug 30, 2015 10:11 AM in response to to the sea

Download and use the free Resize! app to change the jpeg quality level (compression) to what you need to obtain that file size.

However, depending on the image size in pixels you may not be able to reduce a large image down to that file size. You may have to downsize the image size, i.e. the pixel dimensions, in order to get to that size.

For example a image of 3264 × 2448 pixels and a file size of 3.7 MB will need to be reduced in image size byn 50 percent and with a jpeg quality level of 1 in Resize! in order to get to under 256:

User uploaded file

This gave me the following two images:

The original @ 3264 × 2448 pixels and a file size of 3.7 MB

User uploaded file

And the reduced image @ 1632 x 1224 and 2534 MB:

User uploaded file

If you're starting off with a smaller image size you won't need as much jpeg compression or pixel size reduction to get where you want. The app creates a new folder with the edited file in it so you can experiment until you get what you need.

What pixel size for the image does the website require or want?

User uploaded file

i-photo: need to reduce a photo's size from 4MB to 256 kb to email. How?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.