Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

troubleshoot connectivity OSX Yosemite

I have an extended wifi network, that is, a Time Capsule extended to an Airport Extreme. Connectivity seems much slower than usual the past few days, even when I am right next to the time capsule. How do I troubleshoot this issue?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 24, 2015 10:16 AM

2 replies

Jun 24, 2015 4:45 PM in response to JenWild

1. Plug the computer in by ethernet with wireless off.. if your computer is one of the later models missing this most important port, buy a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter.. they are cheap and absolutely necessary to your continued sanity.

2. Test speeds with ethernet and ethernet only on the main router.. If that is ISP supplied modem then remove all the devices.. do that anyway to find out your actual internet speed at the current time.. does it match your ISP provision??

3. With the standard setup you have.. plug the computer by ethernet firstly into the TC.. get a speed.. it should be near identical to the speed from the ISP modem.. then into the extreme.. by ethernet.. and test speed again.. here there can be a major drop in speed due to the wireless link..

Tell us the results of all these tests.

We need to determine if you have actual wireless issues or ISP/Internet/Connection issues.

From there we can study wireless..

Be assured.. Yosemite is bug heaven for network issues. You are not alone.. welcome to the club.

Jun 25, 2015 7:48 AM in response to LaPastenague

2 things that come to mind.

1. Airport can only extend another Apple Airport. So if you have a Linksys Router for example you will not be able to extend that with an Airport.

2. You lose 60% of networking power when extending wirelessly. If there is any way to connect with an Ethernet cable, do that. Its great if you have signal and just need a booster. I use the Airport Utility and speedtest.com to check the speed.

troubleshoot connectivity OSX Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.