Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy/Paste Ghosts: Actions

I'm dealing with the following scenario in Keynote 6.5.3 on Mac OS X 10.10.3:

Slide 1: Object moves from point A to point B

Slide 2: Object moves from point B to point C

In previous versions of Keynote, if you wanted an object to start in the place where it left off on the previous slide, you could copy the "ghost" (the translucent image of the object's end point). You'd do this by selecting the action in the build tray, right-clicking the object's ghost, selecting "Copy," then pasting it to the next slide. In Keynote 6.5.3, however, when you select a ghost, the copy option appears to be greyed out. Or if you are able to select it, it pastes the object on Slide 2 in point A vs. point B.

What I've tried: I've resorted to manually transcribing the X/Y coordinates of each individual object from slide to slide, which is a time-suck. I do realize I could keep the motion contained to a single slide by adding an action, but I often have a number of complex interactions on a slide; adding even more actions would make dealing with layered objects (which Keynote has never been good at) all the more difficult.

Is the ghost copy/paste feature just gone, or is there a workaround? Any insight would be appreciated!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Jun 24, 2015 12:48 PM

2 replies

Jun 25, 2015 2:00 AM in response to jtredway

This is a huge problem that I just started seeing. I avoided updating to the new Keynote as long as possible but finally decided to move forward. This feature is a critical function that completely changes the way I can present things if it isn't present.

I teach Middle Schoolers and often put together presentations where I demonstrate application functions by posting screenshots from slide to slide dissolving together and an arrow moving from one place to another to point out the various areas i want to draw attention. In the previous version, this worked seamlessly because I was able to copy the ghost (thanks for the terminology because I wasn't sure) and past on the next slide. Then animate from there.

It makes presentations much more simple with the same effect than having to build multiple layers that dissolve in and out on one slide. I've done that but found that it's best to avoid it because you can get so loaded up with different moving parts layered on top of each other than it become unwieldy.

This is a really important function that should be reinstated.

Jun 27, 2015 4:38 AM in response to jtredway

Keynote - continuing an animation using actions

If you are using a single slide to show an animation sequence:

1. place the object on the slide,

2. Inspector > animate > action > add an effectthenselectaneffect,

3. move the ghost into the required position,

4. click the red add action button,

5. select an effect then click and drag the ghost into position,

6. for each additional effect, click the red add action button.

If you are using separate slides to show an animation sequence:

1. place the object on the slide,

2. Inspector > animate > action > add an effect; thenselectaneffect,

3. move the ghost into the required position,

4. click the red add action button, select an effect then click and drag the ghost into position,

5. duplicate the slide, (click the slide in the Navigator panel then press command D),

6. on the duplicate slide, click the object to select, then click the red add action button,

7. on the ghost image, click the red add action button and selectaneffect,

8. click and drag the ghost into position,

9. click and drag the original object (dark colour) on to the ghost image at position 2 (light colour),

10. click in the centre of the original object to select (the bounding box will disappear),

11. press the delete key on the keyboard.

Copy/Paste Ghosts: Actions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.