Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I find the other 180G of movies that is taking up memory

So I feel a little dumb asking this, but I've had my Macbook for a few years now and haven't had this problem yet. I recently started filming and creating movies on my Macbook and now iMovie is telling me there is no memory left. I have a 500G hard drive and I've checked the storage to see what was taking up so much space. Turned out that I have 340G of movies on my hard drive. The problem is, I have found all of the videos I have filmed and edited and the total size of all of those files is around 160G. So my question is, where are the other 180G of movies? I have my iPhone backed up to my MacBook and it does sync my videos from my phone (but I cant believe that I've filmed 180G of movies with my phone) to Photos. How can I find these movies? I've tried looking through finder and have failed to locate them, and I do know that Photos is totally separate from that (from what I understand). Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm curently coping all my filmed movies over to an old iPod to try and ffee up what little room I can.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 24, 2015 11:06 AM

3 replies

Jun 24, 2015 11:46 AM in response to Taternater_ky

Download from the Internet OmniDiskSweeper and Grand Perspective (both free) and open them. They will show all of your files and the respective sizes. This should allow you to locate or account for the 'missing' files.

What are the sources you are using to determine the file sizes on your MBP?

It may be helpful if you indicated the EXACT model/year MBP that you have.

Ciao.

How can I find the other 180G of movies that is taking up memory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.