Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove adware from MacBookair

i have tried to follow some of the instructions posted by some of you, but I find it difficult to follow because I'm not computer savvy. Once I go to "go to file" I don't know what to do because nothing is there the bar is just empty.

Can you please send step by step instructions for dummies. Thanks!!

Posted on Jun 24, 2015 11:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2015 11:26 AM

If manual removal is too complicated, which is understandable, run AdwareMedic, which you can download from http://adwaremedic.com/index.php.

12 replies

Jun 25, 2015 1:54 PM in response to Msblond1e

Msblond1e wrote:

It took me to detox my Mac Is this ok

Definitely not. Adware is trying to prevent you from downloading something that will fix the problem, by redirecting you from the AdwareMedic site to a junk software site. As the developer of AdwareMedic, I would be very interested in finding out which one is doing that!

If the direct download link that stevejobsfan0123 gave you does not work either, restart your computer in safe mode:

Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up - Apple Support

While in safe mode, open Safari. Within Safari, choose Preferences from the Safari menu, then click the Extensions icon in the preferences window. Toggle the big On/Off switch to Off. These steps will disable third-party software that might be interfering.

Now, try downloading AdwareMedic again. You can also run AdwareMedic while in safe mode, once it has been downloaded. After removing whatever AdwareMedic found, restart the computer normally, then report back here as to whether the problem has been solved.

If AdwareMedic doesn't find anything, please use AdwareMedic to send me a system snapshot. Within AdwareMedic, choose Take System Snapshot from the Scanner menu in the menu bar, then click the "Submit to The Safe Mac" button and follow the instructions. Be sure to mention this discussion in your description of the problem, so I'll know who you are.

Jul 24, 2015 3:20 AM in response to wislon2012

wislon2012 wrote:

I have the same problem and have used AdwareMedic. Reset Search has now become Uninstall Kuklorest. Should I click on it to uninstall it? Thanks

Definitely not. Looks like Kuklorest is a name for yet another Genieo variant, and their uninstallers have always been notoriously useless. Drag that uninstaller to the trash.

Apr 22, 2016 12:06 PM in response to thomas_r.

I tried this and I know it is 5 months old, but in safe mode, in Safari Preferences, there was no on-off toggle switch. Moreover, there was an uninstall that I tried. It does not look like it worked. I went to AdwareMedic and was redirected to Malwarebytes and it claims that the two companies merged. I was immediately suspicious because Kuklorest had re-directed others away from AdWare Medic. Bottom line: I can't get to AdwareMedic. Are the companies truly merged? Or does this mean you are out of business? Is Google doing anything about this as they are down 3% and this probably is the cause.

How to remove adware from MacBookair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.