Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change the email address associated with my user name

OK, so my son created an id for use here not realising that I was logged on with one of my dev accounts in the dev centre which annoyingly carries over to here if logged on to other Apple sites, e.g., dev forums or Appleseed.

Now, I don't want his username associated with one of my accounts, so the question is, how can I change this so that it is his Apple ID associated with the user name he created?

Posted on Jun 24, 2015 1:11 PM

16 replies

Jun 24, 2015 3:45 PM in response to igmackenzie

Please note the limitations mentioned in this link regarding icloud addresses (posted above as well):

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

will that change the email address associated with the user name he used to register here, and then free up my dev email address again once the change is made?

I believe I read that you cannot "re-use" an email address once you've "discarded" it for an Apple ID which is what this, in essence, would amount to. However, I am not 100% sure, so it may be worth a try.

The other consideration is that any purchases made with an Apple ID cannot be transferred to another, so he might have to re-purchase any apps.

Jun 25, 2015 12:26 AM in response to babowa

Thanks for your suggestions, guys. However, I'm not sure about whether my problem will be resolved by any of them.

Basically, I want to disassociate my dev account email address from the user name that my son accidentally registered here, and associate that user name with his email address whilst keeping my dev account email for potential future use in these forums.

Jun 25, 2015 12:41 AM in response to igmackenzie

Until recently, once an address had been used as an Apple ID you could remove it from that ID and use something else, but you couldn't then re-use it as a new Apple ID. It's been reported that this has changed and you can now use any (non-Apple) address as an ID provided it works and isn't currently associated with an Apple ID.

Unless someone who has done it can confirm this your only option is to try it and see what happens. The first step shouldn't be a problem - as you know you can change the current ID/login to another address (as long as it isn't an @mac.com, @me.com or @icloud.com address). Having removed the current address you can then try changing your son's ID to using it. If it doesn't work, he will have to use another address - as it's only used as a login he can create a free one and use that, it won't impinge on any other use.

In either case it's vital to follow this procedure for changing the ID:

1. Firstly, if you have 'Find My iPhone/iPad/iMac' enabled on any of your devices, turn it off.
  2. Create a new email address, for example at Yahoo or Gmail, or anywhere convenient (or you can use an existing address as long as it is not associated with an Apple ID).
  3. Go to http://appleid.apple.com and click 'Manage your Apple ID'. Sign in with the current ID.
  4. Where it says 'Apple ID and primary email address' and gives your current ID email address, click 'edit'.
  5. Enter your new address and click 'Save changes'.
  6. Now you will need to go to each of your devices and sign out in System Preferences (or Settings)>iCloud - 'Sign out' on a Mac, 'Delete this account' on an iOS device (this will not delete the account from the server).
  7. Then sign back in with your new ID. Your iCloud data will disappear from your devices when you sign out, but reappear when you sign back in.

I re-iterate: before you start, turn off 'Find My Mac' (or whatever) or you will need the services of Support.

Jun 25, 2015 6:49 AM in response to igmackenzie

igmackenzie wrote:

I still don't see how this is going to work! Roger suggests going in via 'Manage My Apple ID', but how does that relate to the user name that has been created here?

I want to disassociate the user name used here with my dev account email address and change it to my son's email address.

Still can't see how to do it!

I say again... Apple ID = "Primary email Address"... UserName is "chosen" when using that email when 'creating' a new Apple ID account

You CAN change your Primary email address associated with your NEW(or old) Apple ID. You CANNOT change your UserName associated with your Apple ID (the Hosts can, but it is rare and only for just cause)

I recommend taking veteran advice and instructions - in particular Roger's - and giving it a try, despite your lack of clarity.

Jun 25, 2015 7:37 AM in response to igmackenzie

Just to understand definitively:

Both Roger and I posted the same instructions on how to change your Apple ID - your Apple ID is an email address and that is what you use to sign in here and Apple-everywhere. Are you NOT referring to that, but rather the (user) name used on these forums, i.e. yours is igmackenzie - mine is babowa?

User names can't be changed - only the hosts can in certain circumstances. If that is what you are wanting to do, it probably would be easiest to have your son establish a new account here with a different user name and using a different email address (not yours).

How to change the email address associated with my user name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.