Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage not working! HELP?!

its driving me crazy.. I've searched and searched, tried turning off iMessage and FaceTime.. I've tried rebooting multiple times, hard reset.. Checking my settings..set my time to auto ,everything I can think of. Sometimes when I go to a message with someone who has iMessage it will show up as if it's an iMessage and then as soon as I start typing it goes back to text message. I don't know if this has anything to do with anything but I went to look at my send and receive (as I saw this was a solution suggestion) and my phone number is there but it's grey'd out and my email is under it in blue with an 'I' next to it..wouldn't let me do anything with that. Also a little while back (3 weeks or so) FaceTime wasn't going through but i haven't tried to do it again since to be honest.. I just don't know if the two things have to do with another. I just hope somebody can help me with this issue..like ASAP, With detailed instructions as I'm not too technilogically advanced..As I'm sure my question has showed lol thanks in advance

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3, Not jail broken

Posted on Jun 24, 2015 12:27 PM

13 replies

Jun 26, 2015 12:52 PM in response to OohRachi

Hi OohRachi,

Thank you for contributing to the Apple Support Communities.

It seems like you're trying to send iMessages to other iPhone users, but they're being sent as text messages instead.

It may be normal for your phone number to be grayed out under Settings > Messages > Send & Receive. Do you have a check mark next to your phone number, like in this screenshot?

User uploaded file

If not, try following the steps from iOS and OS X: Link your phone number and Apple ID for use with FaceTime and iMessage.

If you do have a checkmark next to your phone number, try these steps from If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch next:

Sign out and back in to iMessage and FaceTime

1. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive, tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
  2. Go to Settings > FaceTime, tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
  3. On your iPhone first, sign back in to iMessage and Facetime.
  4. Sign back in to iMessage and Facetime on your other devices.

Reset your network settings

Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Sincerely,

Jeremy

Jun 28, 2015 12:13 PM in response to OohRachi

Hi OohRachi,

Thanks for your reply.

No worries. It's good to be sure of steps before going through them.

You shouldn't need to contact your carrier after using Reset Network Settings. Your carrier's default configuration will be put back automatically.

You will need to re-enter the passwords for Wi-Fi networks you connect to, though.

(For reference, the information above comes from If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won’t connect to a Wi-Fi network and iOS: About cellular data network settings (viewing or editing the APN).)

Regarding the steps in iOS and OS X: Link your phone number and Apple ID for use with FaceTime and iMessage and If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

If you use iMessage on any Mac computers or other iOS devices, sign out of iMessage on those computers/devices first. Then try the steps outlined in the articles on the iPhone you're having the issue with.

For more help with these steps or if they don't solve it, you can contact Apple Support using this link:

https://getsupport.apple.com/GetproductgroupList.action

Best Regards,

Jeremy

Jun 28, 2015 8:38 PM in response to shirleyfromemmaus

Restrictions have nothing to do with the issue the OP is reporting. The normal state of Restrictions is disabled. One only enables Restrictions when one wants to prevent other users of the device from accessing things or making changed, and there are no Restriction options for Messages at all.

So, not sure what you mean by "you will need to enter a passcode to enable them". If Restrictions are "disabled", then no passcode is required.

Are you confusing the App-specific password required for FaceTime and Messages when a person has Two-step Verification enabled? If so, that is an entirely different thing than Restrictions.

Cheers,

GB

Jun 29, 2015 2:14 AM in response to gail from maine

The default setting for Restrictions is OFF. If you go to Settings> General and scroll down to Restrictions, you will see that the default setting for Restrictions is OFF. If it says ON, Restrictions was tapped to enable Restrictions to ON after entering a Passcode. Once the Passcode is entered, you can choose the apps or items that you want to restrict by tapping on them.

Jun 29, 2015 2:00 PM in response to shirleyfromemmaus

Again, the issue that the OP is reporting is not in any way controlled by Restrictions. I am fully aware of how they work, and that they are "Off" (or disabled, as I indicated), normally. However, there are no Restrictions for Messages....

The OP's issue is having iMessages change to text messages. Has zero to do with Restrictions.

Cheers,

GB

Jun 29, 2015 3:24 PM in response to gail from maine

I stand by what I said previously:

First, go to Settings and check to see if Messages is turned on (Button is green) to indicate that it is turned on. If not, tap the button to turn Messages on. If the button does not turn green when you tap it, go to General> Restrictions and if, instead of the default OFF, Restrictions says ON, no doubt someone who knows the passcode for Restrictions has enabled them and likely checked "Don't allow Apps" after entering the Restrictions passcode. To turn these Restrictions OFF, you will first have to know and enter the passcode to enable Restrictions and then return to the Messages setting to turn it on.

If you still are unable to turn on Messages or send and receive text, I confess I don't have an alternative suggestion and you may want to consider contacting Apple's support staff for help with the matter.

Jun 29, 2015 3:46 PM in response to shirleyfromemmaus

I stand by what I said previously:

First, go to Settings and check to see if Messages and/or FaceBook are turned on (Button is green) to indicate that they are turned on. If not, tap the buttons to turn them on. If the buttons do not turn green when you tap them, go to General> Restrictions and if, instead of the default OFF, Restrictions says ON, no doubt someone who knows the passcode for Restrictions has enabled them (yes, ON means that they are enabled; OFF means that no restrictions have been activated) and likely checked "Don't allow Apps" after entering the Restrictions passcode. To turn these Restrictions OFF, you will first have to know and enter the passcode to enable Restrictions and then return to the Messages or FaceBook settings to turn them on.

If you still are unable send and receive text, you may have a hardware problem and may want to consider contacting Apple's support staff for help with the matter.

Jun 29, 2015 4:19 PM in response to shirleyfromemmaus

Where, exactly, is the Messages App in Restrictions? Yes, FaceTime is there, but if FaceTime was restricted, the icon wouldn't even show on the Home Screen, so that was certainly not related to the "FaceTime not going through" sidebar that the OP mentioned.

The TOU of this forum specify that you should always test solutions before you provide them. If you can provide a specific setting in Restrictions that will prevent you from turning OFF Messages or FaceTime in your Settings, then I will stand corrected. But I think you will be hard-pressed to even find an entry for FaceTime in the Settings list if you turn turn the Restrictions settings on for it.

And again, for Messages, there is no corresponding Restriction associated with Messages.

You specifically stated:

Sounds as if Restrictions are disabled for these apps (iMessage and FaceTime.) If Restrictions are disabled they are in no way interfering with anything on the phone. If so, you will need to enter a passcode to enable them. If you are not able to rescind, create, or change the passcode, you will not be able to change the settings for these apps.

So, you cannot even see a button to turn off if Restrictions is set for FaceTime, therefore: If the buttons do not turn green when you tap them, go to General> Restrictions and if, instead of the default OFF, Restrictions says ON, no doubt someone who knows the passcode for Restrictions has enabled them simply is not correct. Restrictions will not prevent you from turning Messages OFF and ON, and if FaceTime is Restricted, you won't even have an entry for the FaceTime buttons showing in Settings.

GB

iMessage not working! HELP?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.