Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting to PDF creates white gaps between colored cells

Hi there, I'm not sure if this counts as a bug report or if it's a feature I can toggle off somehow:

I've created a designer invoice in Numbers 3.5.3, which has colored backgrounds in blocks of different cells. There is no border between these cells, but when I export it to PDF (either by exporting or printing individual pages) it adds an ugly white gap between all my unmerged cells. I can't merge these cells because the colored blocks contain multiple fields of info. Is there any way (other than merging them) to make these block appear solid, like they appear in numbers, when I export them?

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 24, 2015 1:54 PM

6 replies

Jun 26, 2015 11:48 AM in response to Yellowbox

Thanks Ian,

I tried setting Table Outline to "None" and turned off the Grid Lines. That didn't work, so I went to the Cell Pane and tried making sure there was absolutely no border. That didn't fix it, so I tried making a 1 pt border the same color as the cell, and that didn't work either. I'm still getting white lines in my pdfs between some cell blocks (but not all of them, which is puzzling).

Jun 29, 2015 2:42 AM in response to SarahDimento

Hi Sarah,

I see what you see in Menu > File > Print... > Print... > Open PDF in Preview:

User uploaded file

Try this,

Insert a table and Format Panel > Table > untick Alternating Row Colour. Don't worry about the Gridlines. Then:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Click on the Border pattern top right to apply the borders to all cells.

Border Styles >1 pt

Line Style (solid line)

Colour (I chose blue)

Thickness (should already be 1 pt)

With all cells in the table selected,

Fill > Colour Fill ( I chose blue).

Table in Numbers

User uploaded file

Table after Menu > File > Print... > Print... > Open PDF in Preview

User uploaded file

Regards,

Ian.

Jun 29, 2015 8:58 AM in response to Yellowbox

Hi Ian,

I tried your suggestion step x step. It didn't look so bad with only a handful of cells, but it seems the problem gets worse the more cells you add. Here's what I mean:

With only a few cells, a couple small gaps are barely visible:

User uploaded file

But turn nasty the more cells you add:

User uploaded file

I should probably also mention the original file didn't use tables. I just formatted the cells directly. The screenshot above is a blank table I just made for this.

Thanks,

Sarah

Jun 29, 2015 9:41 PM in response to SarahDimento

Hi Sarah,

I can't reproduce the problem. No gaps in PDF, whether I do

Menu > File > Export To > PDF... or

Menu > File > Print... > Print... PDF > Open PDF in Preview.

I tried a huge table (10 pages) and still no gaps.

"Curiouser and curiouser," said Alice.

Maybe try the Mac Mini forum. Would you like me to ask that this discussion be moved there?

Mac mini

Regards,

Ian.

Exporting to PDF creates white gaps between colored cells

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.