Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 2 constantly restarting

I have 2 Apple TV's version 2. I have adjusted the settings to not allow automatic updates. This was a recommendation from another post. The problem has not been resolved. Both of my Apple TV's go into a restart mode for no apparent reason. I'll be watching a show, the screen will go to black, the Apple TV light will flash, the spinning wheel appears on the TV screen and the system goes back to the main menu home screen. I am also having a issue where I'll put a show on pause to run into the other room and the same thing will happen. The Apple TV will go into restart mode. It's driving me crazy and it's been getting worse. I have read that you can do a factory restore but that sounds like a pain to then have to re-enter all usernames and passwords for: Hulu, iTunes, Netflix, HBO, Showtime, CNN...

Does anyone have a resolution for the restarting all the time issue? I am very disappointed that Apple didn't announce the release of a new device at the recent WWDC. The user interface at this point is antiquated and cumbersome. That combined with restarting is seriously making me consider a Roku.

Apple TV (2nd generation), iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 24, 2015 5:50 PM

8 replies

Jun 25, 2015 9:32 AM in response to BCmacD

I recently moved and had the Apple TV set up using my former roommates network. The same problems occurred on this other network. I regularly monitor my network speed, connection and update the channel selection due to living in a crowded urban environment. I do not have any problems with several other wireless connected devices. Thanks for your recommendation.

Jul 31, 2015 9:27 PM in response to BCmacD

BCmacD, have you had any luck after the full restore on you Apple TV gen. 2? I have been having the same problem with my unit (same make and model) and originally I suspected packet loss but I have confirmed that is not the issue. Check every other network set in that I can, no problems found. The only thing I have seen that may effect my unit is a inquiry from my router asking the ATV to report itself to my router firewall which happens to ever other device on my network too without any problems.

ccurrently I have found that if I stream from my iPhone to the ATV with Netflix or Hulu there is no problems. It only happens when using the ATV apps to stream from other source outside of apple (Netflix, Hulu, and OPB are the only service I have right now).

Aug 3, 2015 9:58 PM in response to Jak11178

I tried the full restore and also unplugging my Apple TV 2 for several minutes. Nothing has seemed to help. In fact the restarting over the past week or so has gotten worse. It's very aggravating for it to happen all the time, restarting, rebooting and going back to the main home screen. I have zero problems with any other device on my network: iPhone 6, MacBook Pro 13" Retina, iPad Air 2 and when friends are using their devices on my network. The only issue I'm having is with both of my Apple TV 2's. It seems as we get closer to the launch of the anticipated new Apple TV the older models are crashing and burning. Hmmm...could it be planned obsolesce forcing me to upgrade the day the new one comes out? Well I was kind of planning on doing that anyway but Apple seems to be forcing our hands. 🙂

Nov 16, 2015 7:12 AM in response to BCmacD

Same issue, and it started, coincidentally, the same week as the reveal of the new apple TV. Every non-Apple app reboots at least once during every program we attempt to watch. Have had this unit for 3 years, never did this until September. Tried restore, no luck. Since I have to buy a new device in order to stream content, it will be now a Roku. It shouldn't be technically impossible for Apple to build a streaming device that doesn't reset every time you try to use it, but apparently it is.

Apple TV 2 constantly restarting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.