Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using late 2013 iMac 21.5 inch as an external display for another computer

Hi

I will soon be buying a mid-range late 2013 21.5 inch iMac and I am wondering if there is any way that I can connect my Windows PC to it to do a few things that currently aren't available to do on the iMac. I will be using the iMac as my primary computer and the PC whenever I need to. I have a very small physical workspace so am unable to have more than one monitor. I have considered using boot camp on the iMac but even with a Windows partition, the graphics card in the iMac isn't powerful enough for what I need to do and it is the only thing that I find the iMac lacks in for my needs. Are there any hardware solutions to this problem, as software solutions that I have looked into are either too expensive or have too much latency, plus I need a physical display instead of a purely virtual one.

I have been researching this on the internet but have been confused by all the different responses so would be very grateful if you could help.

Thank you

Posted on Jun 24, 2015 3:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2015 3:51 PM

No. Windows does not support the method by which another Mac can use that iMac as a secondary or primary display.

Target Display Mode- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

iMac- How to use your iMac as a Target Display Mode display

4 replies

Jun 24, 2015 4:10 PM in response to fernb002

Well, there are third-party hardware solutions - Matrox for example. Then you can look at USB-based solutions using software. But I don't know if they work with "different" makes and models. I know there are some that work with a Mac, but I don't know if they will work on the PC. Furthermore, the software/USB solutions are very slow.

Using late 2013 iMac 21.5 inch as an external display for another computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.