Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Brightness in Bootcamp Windows 10 Preview

I recently installed the Windows 10 Preview via Bootcamp on both my 2012 iMac and 2012 MBP both with Yosemite. Both installations went fine except for the MBP's screen brightness. It will only go to about 75% brightness even though it says 100% leaving me with a pretty dim screen. The bootcamp drivers seem to be working fine because I can adjust it both up and down, it just won't get as bright as it should. If any more information is needed please let me know and I will post that info. I really need this problem fixed.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 24, 2015 9:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2015 5:04 PM

I was running into the same problem when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. After searching through the settings, I found a solution that appears to resolve this issue.

To fix this problem:

1. Go To - Settings>System>Display
  2. Turn Off "Adjust My Screen Brightness Automatically" Setting

I hope this helps. If anyone is having problems with Windows 10 bootcamp, I would strongly recommend installing the most up-to-date bootcamp drivers. I lost my F-key functionality after the upgrade, and reinstalling the updated drivers resolved that issue.

The following link explains the process to reinstall updated bootcamp drivers:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204923

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 15, 2015 5:04 PM in response to kirbyhilderbrand

I was running into the same problem when I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. After searching through the settings, I found a solution that appears to resolve this issue.

To fix this problem:

1. Go To - Settings>System>Display
  2. Turn Off "Adjust My Screen Brightness Automatically" Setting

I hope this helps. If anyone is having problems with Windows 10 bootcamp, I would strongly recommend installing the most up-to-date bootcamp drivers. I lost my F-key functionality after the upgrade, and reinstalling the updated drivers resolved that issue.

The following link explains the process to reinstall updated bootcamp drivers:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204923

Sep 5, 2015 7:05 AM in response to BOOTCAMP55

I am facing same issue the brightness bar goes up and down but there is no visible change in the brightness. I have tried disbling the adaptive brightness and automatic brightness settings but still it doesn't seem to work.

Please can someone help.

I did a fresh install on my macbook pro retina 13 inch using the latest bootcamp drivers. THanks

Nov 22, 2016 6:02 AM in response to kirbyhilderbrand

Disabling Adaptive Brightness in Windows 8 or 10

Hit the Windows key, and then type in “Power Options” into the search, which will pull up the Power Options panel.

Once here, click the “Change plan settings” link on the selected plan.

Then click the “Change advanced power settings” link.

And now, browse down to Display –> Enable adaptive brightness, and change the settings there to Off.

Changing this setting fixed my brightness problems on my MacBook Air running Windows through Boot Camp.

http://www.howtogeek.com/107173/disable-windows-8s-adaptive-brightness-to-fix-da rk-screen-problems/

Screen Brightness in Bootcamp Windows 10 Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.