Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Excel cannot open this file. The file might have been damaged or modified from its original format. Please help!

I cannot seem to open this specific excel document I saved. All my other documents open no problem and they were saved the exact same way. I have tried changing it from .xlsx to .xls in order for it to possibly open, but no luck 😟

Please can someone help me. The document contains an extensive price list. It took me so long to do, I cannot imagine redoing it 😟

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 12:38 AM

1 reply

Jun 25, 2015 4:42 PM in response to KaylaCT

First off, there is no version of Classic operating system that will open a newer Excel 2008 or newer file.

You posted to the Classic forum. If you are indeed running Mac OS X 10.7.5, you posted to the wrong forum.

xlsx typically is Excel 2010 or later. LibreOffice, NeoOffice, and OpenOffice have almost free and free versions that will open newer versions which you can try if you have Mac OS X 10.7 or later. MacBook Pros can't run Classic operating systems either.

Excel cannot open this file. The file might have been damaged or modified from its original format. Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.