Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fans not starting-up automatically at all. (Overheat?)

Hi Guys!

Long time reader, first time poster.

So, first off, some background - I have had my MBP for roughly 3 months now.

I got it brand new. Specs:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

OS X: Yosemite 10.10.3 (14D136) (Updated it a month or so after getting it)

I have had zero issues with it, until today. Now, I use my MBP on a hardwood desk, with decent ventilation, charge it when it hits around 15-30% and unplug charger when its been on 100% for a few minutes. Granted it is in use almost 12-17 hours a day.

Now, today I noticed the charger getting very hot, almost too hot to touch (the plug connecting to the port, with the indicator light) as well as the centre of the keyboard (around the following keys: rtyui + sdfghj + cvbn) plus the section above the F/Function keys (the silver flat section above the keyboard). So I bought Temperature Gauge (TG) Pro from the App store. Now, in the past 6 hours (during which Ive played Borderlands 2, done some image rendering in Photoshop, played iTunes while word processing, etc, some pretty heavy activity, including also Black Ops 2 on Full graphics settings, campaign) I haven't heard (or seen in TG Pro) the fans fire up one single time, not like Im used to (if I think back I can remember times Ive heard the fans kick in to higher RPM automatically). I look at TG Pro in my status bar every now and then and Im seeing temps of up to 95-98 Deg. celsius - Mostly in the Average CPU row, but also noticeably high rates in the PECI C/GPU rows also.

Now Ive started boosting the fan manually with TGP every time it gets above 75 Degrees.

My questions are, one - is this normal? two - if not, why has this suddenly happened? three - is there a fix other than resetting the SMC? which I have tried already, twice. Finally four - should I be worried right now?

This device is my life, and to be honest, my income and livelihood rely on this machine for the next year or so, and I do not have access to an Applestore near me, I live in regional Victoria, Australia.

Any help, tips, suggestion, input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance,

Aaron aka PrettyWise.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 6:34 AM

2 replies

Fans not starting-up automatically at all. (Overheat?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.