Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random blue screen and reboot

iphone 5s randomly blue screens and then reboots. Battery indicator also will display big swings in available percentage. Read a bunch of recent posts about this possibly being associated to Tmobile phones but I have service through Verizon. Tried hard reset, tried deleting all texts, tried upgrading to IOS 8.3, ran the carrier update that was available, and tried resetting all settings. Basically I've tried everything I can think of short of factory reset...

There are 2 articles that describe the issue: 1 at macrumors from yesterday and the other today at Forbes both titled blue screen of death issues.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 6:59 AM

4 replies

Jun 30, 2015 9:11 AM in response to cw_hw

I am having the same issue with a Verizon iPad Air (A-1475). Has been working perfectly since I bought it over a year ago and then late last week, began getting the BSOD. Tried to upgrade to iOS 8.3, but that didn't help. This took several tries as the device would BSOD while the update was trying to happen, even had issues with it doing it while hooked to my Mac, trying to update manually. BSOD happens every few minutes, draining the battery in the process. Wiped the device multiple times, tried hard reset to no avail.

Jun 30, 2015 11:48 AM in response to cw_hw

Just finished an update on my Verizon iPad Air (A-1475) to iOS 8.4 and everything appears to be working again. No more BSODs. No more auto-booting. I have also been able to successfully restore applications, all without a crash. That was not the case prior to upgrading to iOS 8.4. So, crossing my fingers... it looks like this issue may be resolved with the 8.4 update.

Jul 5, 2015 7:28 AM in response to shawn-atl

im glad that worked, I've since determined that my problem appears to be a loose battery as I went to remove the sim card to try that and I handled the phone different than normal and noticed a thud as the battery shifted inside. Gently shaking the phone it is apparent the battery adhesive has come completely loose which explains how it went from intermittent to not working at all and not charging properly. Taking it to apple store as it is only 6 months old. Will report back...

Random blue screen and reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.