Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New 2015 MacBook Pro display remains black and Systems Preferences does not show an available laptop display when booting and connected to Thunderbolt display?

My new MBP starts up with a blank black screen when connected to my Thunderbolt display. After booting, I checked Systems Prefs and the laptop display is not available under display settings. The laptop keyboard F1 and F2 keys do nothing (the laptop screen is black). If I disconnect the Thunderbolt cable and reconnect it the laptop display will appear. Any ideas? Thanks.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.1.x), null

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 8:51 AM

8 replies

Jun 29, 2015 8:21 AM in response to J. VH

I don't think so. Ive had TB displays since they were first available and never had this issue before. I confirmed it does not matter which thunderbolt port one uses, the issue remains. Also, I need my peripheral and network connection established for authentication after booting. Therefore booting the laptop and subsequently connecting to the TB display is not an option for me.

Jun 29, 2015 5:58 PM in response to J. VH

I have seen same problem. However, it does seem to be the order that causes it:

If TB is hooked to MBP when the MBP is powered on, then you have access to just the TB display and therefore cannot see the Arrange button.

If TB is NOT hooked up to MBP when the MBP is powered on but then you connect TB after MBP is booted up, you will have access to both monitors and see the Arrange button.

Aug 11, 2015 9:47 PM in response to FHRunner

FHRunner is correct, the connection order is significant in this case. I still do not understand why connecting the laptop and display prior to booting will not work properly. Wish I wasn't forced to boot the laptop first and then connect it to the display. I prefer that the display and peripherals are connected prior to booting. But I seem to be in the minority here.

Aug 20, 2015 8:31 AM in response to lonestarry

I wanted to update this post as I still believe this is a design issue. I am still using the dual display (Laptop/Thunderbolt) desktop setup and when I restart the MacBook Pro and after I login ONLY the Thunderbolt display will be operating. The laptop display is black. Any windows that open will all shift over to the Thunderbolt and I cannot revive the laptop display unless I eject my backup HD and remove the Thunderbolt cable from the laptop. When I re insert the Thunderbolt connection to the laptop the displays will both appear and then I get to rearrange all my palettes and windows. This is the most frustrating task of course. I have been using Thunderbolt displays since their inception and have yet to work on one that was not glitchy.

Oct 4, 2015 6:52 AM in response to lonestarry

I am now experiencing this issue after updating my late 2013 Macbook with El Capitan.

If I reboot, or boot my Mac with the Thunderbolt monitor plugged in, the display powers on and remains black. Flipping back to my closed Macbook, I have the same results there, I have to hard reset it, let it boot to the login screen while not docked/connected to a display, and only than can I plug in the monitors and get them to work.

I did not have this issue prior to 10.11 update.

Oct 4, 2015 3:58 PM in response to lonestarry

I have owned the Thunderbolt display since it came out in 2011. I have a late 2013 MBP that has been perfect until the latest software updates. 10.10.5 just doesn't work with the monitor.... i don't know why. I can't log in as you have said. Monitor goes black and I have to reboot... I also lost the FireWire 800 port... This has to be a software issue... because that's the ony thing that changed

New 2015 MacBook Pro display remains black and Systems Preferences does not show an available laptop display when booting and connected to Thunderbolt display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.