Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loops play correctly in the loop browser, but when I drag them to the project they don't play correctly

I'm using Garageband 10.0.3. Loops play correctly in the loop browser, but when I drag them to the project they don't play correctly. They play a completely different sound. I recently opened a project from an older version of Garageband. This is when I noticed the problem. I've already recently uninstalled GB with Apple's help. I also tried to Reindex the loops. Thanks in advance!

GarageBand (Mac) '11, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 9:55 AM

7 replies

Jun 25, 2015 10:59 PM in response to SeanD603

There seems be a problem with an inconsistent installation.

The loop "Evolving Atmosphere 01" is showing a different patch name from the other loops of the same family. It is showing as the patch "Morphing Atmo 01" and not "Bit Surround" as the other loops of the family.

My installation of the Bit Surround patch is showing as "Legacy > Logic > Synthesisers" and the patch "Morphing Atmo 01" is missing completely. That would explain the strange sound.

Do the other loops in the "Evolving Atmosphere" family work correctly?

Jun 26, 2015 9:40 PM in response to SeanD603

For me, all loops of the family are playing correctly.Check your Instrument Library, if the loops are installed correctly.

When I search for the patch "Bit Surround" it is showing as "Legacy > Logic > Synthesisers". Searching the Instrument library with "Find Any File (http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/)" for "Bit Surround" is showing the following installed files:

Bit Surround.exs is installed twice, but GarageBand seems to use the Logic installation and not the GarageBand version:

/Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments/05 Synthesizers/05 Motion Sequences/Bit Surround.exs

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Instruments/Hybrid Morph/Bit Surround.exs

/Library/Application Support/Logic/Channel Strip Settings/Instrument/06 Synthesizers/03 Synth Pads/Bit Surround.cst

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Plug-In Settings/Hybrid Morph/Bit Surround.pst

Jun 27, 2015 2:38 PM in response to léonie

So I'm not sure how to fix this, but this is what I found:

/Library/Application Support/Logic/Sampler Instruments.........Folder is empty

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sampler Instruments.....Folder is empty

/Library/Application Support/Logic/Channel Strip Settings.....do not have Channel Strip Settings as a choice

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/Plug-In Settings........Folder is Empty

So it seems I'm missing files from and folder? Any suggestions?

Jun 27, 2015 11:17 PM in response to SeanD603

Just to be sure, did you look in the system library /Library/Application Support/GarageBand at the top level of your Macintosh HD, or in the hidden Library folder in your home folder ? The instrument libraries are in the top level Library when you browse your Macintosh HD. The Library in your Home folder will only have your own instruments you saved from GarageBand.

If the system Instruments library folders have missing items, compare with an older backup of your mac and copy the missing instruments over.

I've already recently uninstalled GB with Apple's help

The problem is, I do not know, if the newest version of GarageBand is supposed to have these patches. I carried plenty of instruments over from older versions by never uninstalling GarageBand. This preserved the older instruments installed by the JamPacks and older GarageBand versions. The newest version does not have all instruments that were available in older versions. If you uninstalled GarageBand you may have removed instruments.

Loops play correctly in the loop browser, but when I drag them to the project they don't play correctly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.