Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Corrupted frames after text box

Greetings,

I am using Final Cut Pro 7.0.3 latest version on the latest version of Yosemite on my iMac.

I had to remove some cropping from a short HD clip that had a 5 second text box at the beginning.

Upon completion and exporting, the screen flashed green for a couple of frames at that very moment when the text ended.

I began again with the original clip, exported without any text box to find no issues on the output.

I added text box and the green flashed as before at the end of the text.

I trashed prefs and began again to no avail.

My original clip had this text and did not have the bad frames.

I don’t know what happened between then and now.

It is disconcerting to think I can no longer use text boxes.

Any ideas?

Thanks….

Final Cut Pro 7

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 12:18 PM

This sounds like the kind of problems that result when editing in FCP7 with or in a format that is not edit friendly, such as H.264.

Click on the source file in the FCP Browser, and once selected, type Command + 9 to see the properties for the clip. Either report those properties here, or take a screen shot of the item properties and post that screen shot here.

Next, click anywhere in your sequence timeline, and then type Command + 0 {zero} to see your sequence settings. Either report those settings here, or take a screen shot of the sequence settings and post that screen shot here.

MtD

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2015 12:18 PM in response to Hanuman Hoffman

This sounds like the kind of problems that result when editing in FCP7 with or in a format that is not edit friendly, such as H.264.

Click on the source file in the FCP Browser, and once selected, type Command + 9 to see the properties for the clip. Either report those properties here, or take a screen shot of the item properties and post that screen shot here.

Next, click anywhere in your sequence timeline, and then type Command + 0 {zero} to see your sequence settings. Either report those settings here, or take a screen shot of the sequence settings and post that screen shot here.

MtD

Jun 25, 2015 5:35 PM in response to Hanuman Hoffman

Hanuman Hoffman wrote:

Funny that the first time I exported, I had no issues. Thereafter was another story.

That is the problem - FCP 7 and lower versions give the illusion that they will work with the format, but they do not. The software for FCP was written and abandoned many years before H.264 became the ubiquitous format it is now, and it appears in the software as a convenience but was never intended for practical use.

The fact the you were able to successfully export before is a matter of good luck on your part, but cannot be relied on.

If I were you, I would:

Duplicate the sequence so that I have a backup of my original work, and then, working on the copy:

1) In the sequence settings switch the Compressor setting to an edit friendly format. I would use ProRes 422, if you are short on disk space use ProRes LT. Either will be more than sufficient to protect the quality of the iPad originated files. Make the switch in the drop down menu and click OK.

2) You will now have to render the sequence. Do so. Playback the rendered sequence and check that there are no anomalies.

3) Export the finished sequence as a self-contained QuickTime file without conversion. This file will be much larger than the original footage, that is normal as edit friendly formats require much more disk space than highly compressed acquisition and delivery formats like H.264.

This gives you a master file (to keep for later use, etc.) from which you can make the deliverable versions you need.

4) Take that exported file into Compressor and use the Compressor presets to create the file in the format you need (YouTube, DVD, etc.).

You can avoid all this by using a more modern editor such as current versions of FCP-X, Premiere Pro, and Avid - all of which support the direct use of H.264 without problems.

Or, you can convert your source files into ProRes prior to working in FCP7 by either using Compressor or MPEG Streamclip (free), and then editing in a ProRes timeline.

MtD

Corrupted frames after text box

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.