Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens to iTunes Match if I try Apple Music?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 1:23 PM

18 replies

Jun 30, 2015 2:31 PM in response to Kappy

@Kappy is right. I am an iTunes Match subscriber and am now trying Apple Music free until Sept 30, 2015. Once you sign up, you can go to your Subscriptions under:

Apple Music Account Info> View Apple ID> Subscriptions [Manage] (for Apple Music Subscription info)

OR iTunes in the Cloud [iTunes Match Renewal].

What I do not know is what is happening to iTunes Radio for iTunes match? It was really nice paying $25/yr and getting ad-free streaming radio. Will we still get to listen to ad-free streaming stations for iTunes match?

Now I understand is that Apple Music is more like Zune/Xbox Music & Spotify - you can stream and download any songs you want and make playlists with the added bonus of LIVE radio like Beats 1 Radio etc. I still see the iTunes Radio stations too, but noticed the Top 50 Radio stations were missing as of a few days ago - maybe that's baked into Apple Music now? If so, I have not found it yet.

Jun 30, 2015 2:33 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

Nothing. They are somewhat integrated but each is different. iTunes Match only has your uploaded music, while Apple Music provides access to everything in Apple's music library. Apple Music costs ten bucks a month while Match is 25 bucks a year.

Introducing Apple Music - All The Ways You Love Music...in One Place

What happens to Match after you decline the Apple Music service after the free trial ends. Is it re-established as a separate service without interruption, or user intervention?

Jun 30, 2015 3:25 PM in response to Csound1

That's what I don't know 100% either. Right now I don't want to risk losing the 3 month free trial for Apple Music, so I am not going to decline it.

I do know that Apple Music (the iTunes Match feature is also built into Apple Music) and iTunes Match are in fact 2 different subscriptions, so I am taking an educated guess/assumption....If you are an iTunes Match subscriber ($25/yr) you would still get the iTunes Match feature (duh) of music you own, rip, download on all your devices, and can download them from the cloud, but I am not sure about the streaming stations part. It was ad-free streaming stations, but now I'm wondering if that is now moved over to Apple Music (ad-free or not) exclusively. in Short- if you continue to subscribe to Match and cancel Apple Music - Yes, your Match is re-established as a separate service without interruption (not verified, but this seems like the logical answer)

Judging by my iTunes Match subscription pricing still showing as active until my year is up, it does appear for now that iTunes Match will continue to be a service, but I'm guessing the big pull for Apple is to offer us so much more from Apple Music plus the iTunes Match features for about an extra $95/yr (+$25 for iTunes Match).

Jul 1, 2015 2:07 AM in response to shfonicAU

As long as you maintain the $9.99/month Apple Music subscription, it's all good. But should you ever wish to cancel the Apple Music Service, all music that

you originally uploaded via iTunes Match will be lost forever. I advise re-subscribing to iTunes Match prior to the possible cancellation of the Apple Music Service. This way, your music library will always remain in the cloud.

Jul 1, 2015 3:44 AM in response to Brskiz

What I am seeing is that if you subscribed to the Apple Music Trial, when you go into manage your subscriptions in your account, Itunes Match is not there any more, but only Apple Music is there.

Are others seeing different then? i.e. you have both Apple Music and Itunes Match both in your "Manage Subscriptions" (I am looking on Itunes for Windows by the way)?

Perhaps this is because Apple Music has all the features of Itunes Match, so you don't need both?

Edit: Actually after looking again, I think Itunes Match has now been listed on the account information screen as "Itunes in the Cloud" and is separate from the other subscriptions.

Jul 1, 2015 11:21 AM in response to LocutusEstBorg

Hmmmm.

Do you mean if you delete them from your ITunes library, and then re-download them again, the file is DRM?

If so, I would try to raise a support request from Apple to get it clarified, as you would think that any song that has status "Matched" or "Uploaded", should download without DRM. At least for "uploaded" this should be the case.

Otherwise, the risk is that someone could download all their uploaded music thinking that they are safe, and then find that their uploaded music now has DRM and if they cancel their subscription they won't be able to play it any more.

Jul 4, 2015 1:57 AM in response to Patthesplat

Hi,

I had a similar question.

I have subscribed to Apple Music, and here now I am able to add and listen to my music, which I add to my iCloud Music Library.

I erased all of my previous library accidentally before adding my iMac for Apple Music. Thanks to Apple Music almost all of the songs are available on Apple Music (over 8 million songs they say).

But this is all DRM protected music. So this music is available for me on my iPad (updated to iOS 8.4), and iMac (updated to latest iTunes 12.2).

I have an iPod touch 4th generation and iPod shuffle, which I used to sync with my iMac for music. So this DRM protected music I am unable to sync with to my these 2 devices (iPod touch 4G, iPod Shuffle).

They say that iTunes Match, matches the songs in your library, and makes if 256kps DRM free.

So my question is, if I subscribe to iTunes Match now after subscribing to Apple Music, would I be able to have DRM free music (upto first 25k songs) on iPod touch, that matched with the DRM protected songs added to my iCloud Music Library, through Apple Music?

Jul 4, 2015 2:10 AM in response to Gumbo Perkins

Hi Gumbo Perkins,

So I want to know before doing any thing.

Say suppose I don't have any music right now, and I subscribe to Apple Music.

I will be able to start listening to songs, by adding them to my library, and making them offline available through iTunes or iOS devices.

But these songs are DRM Protected. I am authorised to play music on my iTunes, as I subscribed for Apple Music.

So now if I subscribe iTunes Match, what would happen? Can I be able to have first 25k songs DRM free on other device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.