Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

virus alert with 1-855 number then phone call

Here's what happend to my family the last 2 days and I'm curious to know what people think?

Yesterday, my wife was surfing the internet when we got a message on Safari. "Our mac had been infected by a virus and to call a 1-855 number to get rid of it" I obviously did not call the number. I looked up a solution on my phone. And as instructed, I force quit. Cleared the cookies. Hit Shift to reload Safari and all appeared well. HOWEVER... Today my wife got a phone call from 234 321-3432, someone with a heavy Indian accent asking if we had problems with our computer and volunteering to fix it for us? Obviously, my wife hung up, but it begs the question... Was the person on the phone in fact the same person responsible for the virus message on my computer? Or was this two separate unrelated attacks? It obviously would be a sophisticated and convincing scam for someone to get a message on a computer and then call the owner of the computer about that message? I've looked these scams up online. I've seen them listed separately (message on computer, phone call about supposed computer problem) but never together. My guess is that it's a coincidence for two reasons. First, the phone call scammer said he was from Windows. We have a Mac. Second, if they were already able to infiltrate my computer to the point where they knew my phone number, why call me about it to get on my computer again? Any experts out there with any other theories, I'd appreciate it....

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 1:51 PM

They are scams.

The last time when I read the number on the phone call too quickly and I answered one of those Indian who was going to repair my Windows PC. Of course not owning one was an immediate clue. So I went along with with him saying that I was doing what he was telling me to do but it was not working as he was suggesting it should. Did he have any other ways to do this. I was working on my Mac in between his suggestions of what I had to do to help. Finally after nearly half an hour I think he got wise to me and hung up on me. I thought it was great fun wasting the scammer's time.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2015 1:51 PM in response to jimmyween

They are scams.

The last time when I read the number on the phone call too quickly and I answered one of those Indian who was going to repair my Windows PC. Of course not owning one was an immediate clue. So I went along with with him saying that I was doing what he was telling me to do but it was not working as he was suggesting it should. Did he have any other ways to do this. I was working on my Mac in between his suggestions of what I had to do to help. Finally after nearly half an hour I think he got wise to me and hung up on me. I thought it was great fun wasting the scammer's time.

Nov 15, 2017 10:37 AM in response to jimmyween

Well they called me today as well.. actually i was watching a movie and suddenly it stopped and the safari opened a page including their phone no. And a voice message saying that my computer is hacked including all information on it including my credit card details and everything and i have to call this no 00 1 (855) 310-6444 to fix everything up.. i called them and i thought they are apple agents and i paid for the service 250$ and i was watching what the technician was doing he downloaded 2 free programs on my macbook and he cleared the history.. i called them back asking them to quit whatever the **** they are doing and i need my money back.. they said okay they will only refund 150$ From 7 to 10 working days and it was my fault that i didnt ask who they are and they dont represent apple.. the weird thing that they were acessing my macbook.. anyway i will take it soon to apple store to check it.. and im going to make a complain to visa to report this place as a spam..

Jun 25, 2015 2:35 PM in response to jimmyween

No, there is no correlation between the two incidents, unless of course if you actually called the number presented. When I had a landline phone, I got those calls several times per week. When they call again and tell you they are "from windows" simply tell them you are glad they called, because you were wanting new windows for a house renovation you are doing. By they time you are done with them they'll be so confused they won't know what to do next.

virus alert with 1-855 number then phone call

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.