Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Basic Qyestions

I am just getting started with Yosemite Server and need some help with some basic questions.

1. I am running the server on an old MacBook Pro and due to the limited HDD size, I would like all of the data folders to reside on attached HDDs attached to the MBP. How do I set it up so that the client Users don't have to navigate to the folders each time but will just go right to the folders?

2. I would like each user to have a private folder that only they see and have access to a shared folder so all users can share files on the network. How do I make it to both folders attach to the client when they log into their client machines? is it just adding two LogIn items? Will the two folders appear in the Finder Sidebar?

3. Is there a way to run applications within Server. For example, if I want a networked version of Plex, where would I installit, in a folder within the Server or on the MBP outside of the Server?

I'm sure I;ll have more questions as I get into this but these should get me started.

Thanks,

David

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 7:25 PM

Welcome to the fold. I hope Yosemite and beyond provides you with your needed requirements.

1: "How do I set it up so that the client Users don't have to navigate to the folders each time but will just go right to the folders?" This is done by defining shared folders. For example, you have the MBP as the host and it has a volume connected called Data. (very unoriginal name, so "Please excuse the crudity of this model. I didn't have time to build it to scale or paint it.") On the Data volume, you have a folder structure like this: /Volumes/Data/SharePoints/TheShare. Add TheShare to File Services as a shared folder. Now, when you users access the server (using fully qualified host name) they will simply access the folder TheShare. Unless you are using NFS shares, the full path is not required.

2: How do I make it to both folders attach to the client when they log into their client machines? is it just adding two LogIn items? Yep. That is the easiest. You can use MCX and Profile Manage to auto mount shares but if each user is has a unique share, that may not be possible. Profile Manager supports variables but I will admit that I have not tried a variable in a shared folder map path.

3: Is there a way to run applications within Server. Hmm. If I understand what you mean, no. Unless the application is design to run as a service, then you will install it on each machine. Now, you mentioned Plex. If your server is your media server, then yes, this is were Plex is installed. Clients interact with it but it runs on the server. Do you have other applications in mind?

Bottom line if you are new to OS X Server. Understand DNS and set a good foundation. With the proper base, the rest of the structure is on sound footing.

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Author "Yosemite Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Control and Collaboration" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2015 7:25 PM in response to David Schwartzer

Welcome to the fold. I hope Yosemite and beyond provides you with your needed requirements.

1: "How do I set it up so that the client Users don't have to navigate to the folders each time but will just go right to the folders?" This is done by defining shared folders. For example, you have the MBP as the host and it has a volume connected called Data. (very unoriginal name, so "Please excuse the crudity of this model. I didn't have time to build it to scale or paint it.") On the Data volume, you have a folder structure like this: /Volumes/Data/SharePoints/TheShare. Add TheShare to File Services as a shared folder. Now, when you users access the server (using fully qualified host name) they will simply access the folder TheShare. Unless you are using NFS shares, the full path is not required.

2: How do I make it to both folders attach to the client when they log into their client machines? is it just adding two LogIn items? Yep. That is the easiest. You can use MCX and Profile Manage to auto mount shares but if each user is has a unique share, that may not be possible. Profile Manager supports variables but I will admit that I have not tried a variable in a shared folder map path.

3: Is there a way to run applications within Server. Hmm. If I understand what you mean, no. Unless the application is design to run as a service, then you will install it on each machine. Now, you mentioned Plex. If your server is your media server, then yes, this is were Plex is installed. Clients interact with it but it runs on the server. Do you have other applications in mind?

Bottom line if you are new to OS X Server. Understand DNS and set a good foundation. With the proper base, the rest of the structure is on sound footing.

Reid

Apple Consultants Network

Author "Yosemite Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Author "Mavericks Server – Control and Collaboration" :: Exclusively available in Apple's iBooks Store

Jun 26, 2015 10:27 AM in response to Strontium90

Dear Reid:

Thanks for the quick reply. On #1. I think your are a little ahead of me. You said:

On the Data volume, you have a folder structure like this: /Volumes/Data/SharePoints/TheShare. I'm not sure what you mean.

Volumes = Is this the Hard Drive

SharePoints = Is this the highest level folders on the HDD, i.e. one for each user and one of more shared folders?

The Shares = Are these the individual folders?

Not sure I understand the difference between a SharePoint and a Share and how does the Server.app treat each of these differently?

Regarding #3, I was only thinking about Plex for now.

Thanks,

David

Jun 27, 2015 2:40 PM in response to David Schwartzer

Sorry. The path was an example. I tend to keep all shared folders collected together as it makes backup easier. However, nearly any folder can be a share. Here is a better example. Lets say you have a drive and you call it DataDrive. On that drive you make a folder called SharedFolders. Inside SharedFolders you create all the folders you want to share. Let's say you have Marketing, Engineering, HR, and Accounting. So the hierarchy looks like this:

DataDrive/

SharedFolders/

Marketing/

Engineering/

HR/

Accounting/

DataDrive is an arbitrary name. It is whatever you call your external drive. SharedFolders is also arbitrary. It is a folder that contains all your folders to be shared. It can be called anything. The folders inside (Marketing, Engineering, HR, Accounting) are also examples. You make have a need for only one folder. The recommendation to store that actual shared folders clustered together and not on the root of the drive is to avoid issues and also to logically cluster. The root of any drive in OS X has a lot of hidden items (Spotlight, fsevents, versions, etc) so targeting the disk for backup gets a lot of extra junk that is not needed.

The only folders available to clients are the ones defines as Shared Folders using Server.app File Sharing service. Once again, nearly any folder can be shared. I just suggest clustering logically.

Basic Qyestions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.