Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is the Document Spotlight information palette?

hi,

Previous versions of Keynote (09, anyway) had a Spotlight tab in the Document palette where one could enter Author, Title, Keywords and Comments, all searchable by Spotlight. In Keynote 6 this doesn't seem to be available anywhere. Can't find mention of it in Help either. Does anyone have any ideas?

thanks

John

Keynote 6-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 2:38 PM

7 replies

Jun 26, 2015 7:15 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Actually, I don't think so. I tried setting a random text value in that field while working on a presentation, and then later did a spotlight search for that term, and nothing came up. Additionally, even if that were the way it was supposed to work, it's a global preference, not a per-document setting, which is how the old Spotlight inspector worked.

Jun 26, 2015 10:22 AM in response to John Mckenzie

Actually, I don't think so.

Of course its the same, the word that is common between both is: "Author"

User uploaded file User uploaded file

then later did a spotlight search for that term, and nothing came up.

Then you should look at System Preferences > Spotlight to see if any options are excluded in searching

Also look at this Apple KB about re-indexing spotlight

not a per-document setting, which is how the old Spotlight inspector worked.

Indeed it is, which is why its of a lower value on its own as a search field, I find it more useful to use:

file name

Keynote Comments on the tool bar

Get Info > Comments

text entered on any slide

Jun 26, 2015 10:33 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Thanks for your reply. I looked into your suggestions but nothing unusual is going on with my system preferences, and everything else seems to be getting indexed instantly. For instance, as soon as I add a comment to a Keynote file, my (unique to keynote, for the purposes of this test) Author name suddenly *does* come up in a Spotlight search — presumably because the Author setting in Keynote 6 really is used only "when adding comments," as the Preference pane states.

Do you happen to know where I might find the "keywords" field now?

You have a helpful point about using text in a slide as a search term in Spotlight, but this will not work for my purposes — I really need actual metadata. I guess appending metadata to a comment in a slide is a workaround, but still, I am led to believe that Apple has done away with metadata as present in earlier versions of Keynote. It's now all really just content.

Thanks for your help.

Where is the Document Spotlight information palette?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.