Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where to find my security key

5:12PM, June 25, 2015
Hi there,

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 620 desktop, using Windows 7 OS, Intel(R)
Core(TM) i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz.

Last night there was a thunderstorm and in the morning, our second computer could no long connect to the internet. I'm pretty sure it has to do with my Airport Extreme router. When I went into it to attempt a fix on my networking, it asked for AE's "signature key."

I need to know where to find it on Airport Extreme. I have this version: Airport Extreme dual Band Router "802.11n Wi-Fi-
network key
(Sorry for the yellow highlighting. I don't know how to remove it.)

Thanks!

Bea ODonnell

Steps taken already: 1) rebooted CPU; 2) unplugged cable provider connection and re-plugged it; 3) re-set Airport Extreme router ; 4) telephoned my cable provider tech support (they tell me the signature key can only be gotten from my router manufacturer); 5) Did System Restore in Windows on my husband's desktop; 6) Did System Restore in my computer as well.

AE dual Band Router 802.11n Wi-Fi-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 2:20 PM

4 replies

Jun 26, 2015 12:17 PM in response to bebebaby1

Rather than wiping out all of the current settings on your AirPort router and having to start all over again from scratch.......you might want to consider using the Show Password option in AirPort Utility to retrieve your password or passphrase.

On the PC.......

Open AirPort Utility

Click on the AirPort Extreme

Click Manual Setup

Click the Base Station menu......up at the very top of the screen where the File, Window, Edit and Help menus appear

Click Equivalent Network Password, and your "key" will be revealed to you

Jun 26, 2015 12:44 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob,

Thanks so much for your suggestion. Actually, after two days of fruitless efforts on my part, I finally bit the bullet and paid for Apple tech support. And he instructed me to exactly what you said!

The only thing I would add to it was that the password that is wanted when Microsoft asks for "signature key" is the SECOND password listed under WPA2 PERSONAL, the wireless network name. I had tried the first one( listed under Airport Extreme Network Name) numerous times and that would not give me access to the other computer that had a broken link to A.E.

I appreciate your taking the time to put me on track to making my husband's computer hum again with internet access!

where to find my security key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.