Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari on OS X 10.6.8

My 2007 MacPro is running Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8.

My Safari 5.1.10 is running extremely slowly. Can I update this to a faster version (if so, where do I download it), or do I need to resort to other browsers?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2x3 GHz Dual-core Intel 1TB+2TB+3TB

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 3:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 3:47 PM

I would not upgrade from Snow Leopard unless you need to. In that case you can only upgrade to 10.7.5 Lion. But this will not fix your current problem. I would suggest that you do a scratch reinstall of Snow Leopard:

Clean Install of Snow Leopard

Be sure to make a backup first because the following procedure will erase

the drive and everything on it.

1. Boot the computer using the Snow Leopard Installer Disc or the Disc 1 that came

with your computer. Insert the disc into the optical drive and restart the computer.

After the chime press and hold down the "C" key. Release the key when you see

a small spinning gear appear below the dark gray Apple logo.

2. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue

button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

After DU loads select the hard drive entry from the left side list (mfgr.'s ID and drive

size.) Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window. Set the number of

partitions to one (1) from the Partitions drop down menu, click on Options button

and select GUID, click on OK, then set the format type to MacOS Extended

(Journaled, if supported), then click on the Apply button.

3. When the formatting has completed quit DU and return to the installer. Proceed

with the OS X installation and follow the directions included with the installer.

4. When the installation has completed your computer will Restart into the Setup

Assistant. After you finish Setup Assistant will complete the installation after which

you will be running a fresh install of OS X. You can now begin the update process

by opening Software Update and installing all recommended updates to bring your

installation current.

Download and install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1.

Once you complete the above you should find things much snappier. You can now consider if you wish to upgrade:

Upgrading to Lion

Your computer does not meet the requirements to install Mavericks, it still meets the requirements to install Lion.

You can purchase Lion at the Online Apple Store. The cost is $19.99 (as it was before) plus tax. It's a download. You will get an email containing a redemption code that you then use at the Mac App Store to download Lion. Save a copy of that installer to your Downloads folder because the installer deletes itself at the end of the installation.

Lion System Requirements

1. Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7,

or Xeon processor

2. 2GB of memory

3. OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)

4. 7GB of available space

5. Some features require an Apple ID; terms apply.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2015 3:47 PM in response to Marsha Chan

I would not upgrade from Snow Leopard unless you need to. In that case you can only upgrade to 10.7.5 Lion. But this will not fix your current problem. I would suggest that you do a scratch reinstall of Snow Leopard:

Clean Install of Snow Leopard

Be sure to make a backup first because the following procedure will erase

the drive and everything on it.

1. Boot the computer using the Snow Leopard Installer Disc or the Disc 1 that came

with your computer. Insert the disc into the optical drive and restart the computer.

After the chime press and hold down the "C" key. Release the key when you see

a small spinning gear appear below the dark gray Apple logo.

2. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue

button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu.

After DU loads select the hard drive entry from the left side list (mfgr.'s ID and drive

size.) Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window. Set the number of

partitions to one (1) from the Partitions drop down menu, click on Options button

and select GUID, click on OK, then set the format type to MacOS Extended

(Journaled, if supported), then click on the Apply button.

3. When the formatting has completed quit DU and return to the installer. Proceed

with the OS X installation and follow the directions included with the installer.

4. When the installation has completed your computer will Restart into the Setup

Assistant. After you finish Setup Assistant will complete the installation after which

you will be running a fresh install of OS X. You can now begin the update process

by opening Software Update and installing all recommended updates to bring your

installation current.

Download and install Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1.

Once you complete the above you should find things much snappier. You can now consider if you wish to upgrade:

Upgrading to Lion

Your computer does not meet the requirements to install Mavericks, it still meets the requirements to install Lion.

You can purchase Lion at the Online Apple Store. The cost is $19.99 (as it was before) plus tax. It's a download. You will get an email containing a redemption code that you then use at the Mac App Store to download Lion. Save a copy of that installer to your Downloads folder because the installer deletes itself at the end of the installation.

Lion System Requirements

or Xeon processor

2. 2GB of memory

Jun 25, 2015 4:16 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks, Kappy. It seems to me I tried to upgrade to Lion but maybe it was Mountain Lion that is incompatible. OK, so let's say I go with a clean install. I have this 1TB drive backed up to another drive via Time Machine, so I should be able to use Setup Assistant to restore everything from TM, right? If Safari and iPhoto are corrupt (both are trying my patience big time), will they be ignored in this process?

Jun 25, 2015 4:35 PM in response to Marsha Chan

Yes, you should use the Setup Assistant, but it does not restore everything. It restores your Home folder, third-party applications and support software, and system preferences. It does not restore OS X. So you need to do a clean install then while in the Setup Assistant opt to restore from a Time Machine backup rather than making a new configuration. Safari will be replaced during the Snow Leopard installation. iPhoto can be re-downloaded from the App Store (it's not part of OS X.)

Jun 25, 2015 8:12 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the encouragement. Keep it coming. I found my Leopard disk. The first optical drive rejected my disk; it just spat it out. The second optical disk sucked it into the machine but has been churning and churning. It must have serious indigestion. It doesn't want to read the disk. I don't see Snow Leopard in my App Store Purchase list.

Jun 25, 2015 10:08 PM in response to Marsha Chan

You cannot download Snow Leopard. The only way to get a retail Snow Leopard DVD is to purchase it from Apple.

You can purchase Snow Leopard through the Apple Store:Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.). The price is $19.99 plus tax. You will be sent physical media by mail after placing your order.

After you install Snow Leopard you will have to download and install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 to update Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 and give you access to the App Store.

Please don't look for something to download from the Internet. Either it isn't the correct disc or it may be infected with viruses or malware.

The reason you cannot run the update is because it is either the wrong update or, more likely, it's already a part of 10.6.8 and not required. 10.6.8 cannot be updated to another version of Snow Leopard because there is not later version than what you have. If you wish to upgrade your Mac Pro past Snow Leopard, then you need to purchase and download Lion:

Upgrading to Lion

Lion System Requirements

or Xeon processor

2. 2GB of memory

There is no Lion disc. It can only be installed by downloading the installer as outlines above. I recommend you create a bootable installer on a flash drive:

Make Your Own Mavericks, Mountain/Lion Installer

After downloading the installer you must first save the Install Mac OS X application. After the installer downloads DO NOT click on the Install button. Go to your Applications folder and make a copy of the installer. Move the copy into your Downloads folder. Now you can click on the Install button. You must do this because the installer deletes itself automatically when it finishes installing.

2. Get a USB flash drive that is at least 8 GBs. Prep this flash drive as follows:

1. Open Disk Utility in your Utilities folder.
  2. After DU loads select your flash drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the leftside list. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed.
  3. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list.
  4. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.
  5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Options button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.
  6. Click on the Erase button. The format process can take up to an hour depending upon the flash drive size.

Use DiskMaker X to put your installer clone onto the USB flash drive.

Jun 26, 2015 10:33 PM in response to Kappy

Haha. Shucks, Kappy, if you could find it, that would be magical.😉 In searching for a Snow Leopard disc, I am emptying out my cabinet. I found Disk Warrior, repaired and rebuilt the directory on my start-up drive, and ran all of the tests for files, folders and hardware on 3 drives. While it was processing everything, I assembled a couple of bags of old software and disks to recycle, but did not come across Snow Leopard 😢

But DW didn't seem to fix Safari and iPhoto.Maybe I'll try Drive Genius 3 while I keep looking for the SL...

Safari on OS X 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.