Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mouse is juddering/jumping

I have got the following problem. The mouse cursor is juddering, studdering and sometimes moving in unpredictable directions. This is particularly the case for a cable bound mouse (Logitech M-BZ105A) that is plugged into my Macbook Pro but also for a wireless mouse (Logitech Anywhere MX radiocontrolled).

I managed to "solve" the problem for the wireless mouse by plugging the radio receiver into an USB Hub (D-Link USB 2.0 Hub). The problem keeps on existing when the radio receiver is plugged directly into the Macbook Pro (i.e. into the USB 3.0 Port) or when the radio receiver is plugged directly into a USB Port of my monitor (that also has various USB 2.0 ports that are connected to another USB 3.0 Port of the MacBook Pro). The mouse speed differs depending on whether the mouse is plugged into the Macbook Pro or when it is plugged into one of the ports of the monitor. I am using Logitech Control Center. I have tried to differ the scanning speed of the mouse with no success.

The problem for the cable bound mouse keeps on existing no matter into which port the mouse is plugged in. There are however days that are better/worse than others. I have tried the mouse on a new Mac Mini with newest OS where it works flawlessly.

My system used to work with no problems but I cannot remember when the issues started (maybe a couple of months ago).

Is this a known issue or does anyone know how to resolve the issue?

I would be grateful for any comments.

My system is as follows:

OS X 10.8.5,

MacBook Pro 13'' Mid 2012, i7 2,3 GHz, 16 GB Ram,

DELL U3014

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 2:54 PM

4 replies

Jun 26, 2015 9:28 AM in response to MacPaetz

It sounds like a Logitech problem. Do you have access to a non - Logitech mouse that you could try as a test? Have you checked for updated drivers on the Logitech website?

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

mouse is juddering/jumping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.