Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watching lecture notes in m4a files

M4A files have aac audio content and mpeg ll video content as stills, or slides that come in on time markers. Online courses, language courses use them and just basically recommend iTunes to play them. This has some disadvantages as below:

M4a is native to Mac, iTunes and should play in Quicktime, but seems to be an orphaned file type and is poorly supported. I have a lot of lectures on online courses coming as m4a, with slides that play automatically with the teachers lecture. However Qucktime does not condescend to play my lectures or any of my movies and seems to be set up only to play purchesed movies from Apple. Also iTunes does play the slides, but only as a thumbnail and is sensitive-it disappears if you do anything.

It has taken me a year to find the solution and I want to share it. If I have maligned any Apple products, please correct me. The Apple App store provides

MPlayerX, an aftermarket and small mimic of Quicktime, similar to VLC Media Player. VLC does not play the slides, only the audio. MPlayerX will play the slides LARGE by default, but only if you make a small change to the file extension: from .m4a to m4v. Then it sees the slides as "video". FYI the way I use to do that is Control click/Get Info and use the File name and Extension field.

I recommend this because I can play these lectures, with slides large, access them easily and keep them out of my iTunes library and in fact on an slick not on my HDrive. Now I just want a way now to play them on my Android Tablet and I will be set.

If anyone has another method, please inform. I have found lots of people in similar position to me who can't get the slides to play. Chrome and Safari won't as far as I can tell. Roger

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4), will also use iCloud on windows 8

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 4:12 PM

4 replies

Jun 26, 2015 2:32 PM in response to Rogermana

To add to what John has already said...

M4A files have aac audio content and mpeg ll video content as stills, or slides that come in on time markers.

This is probably the source of your issue. An "Enhanced Podcast" is an M4A file containing AAC compressed audio with JPEG compressed still images. I.e. Apple apps (e.g., older versions of GarageBand) automatically convert supported still graphic images to JPEG during the export/share process which are then compatible with QT 7, QT X, QL, iTunes, etc. And, since I'm not sure what "MPEG II video content as stills" is supposed to mean here, I suspect this is what is causing your problems as a QT M4A container may not contain a "video" track, and, while it may contain a JPEG compressed still image "slideshow" track, it does not support other forms of image compression as far as QT is concerned.

M4a is native to Mac, iTunes and should play in Quicktime, but seems to be an orphaned file type and is poorly supported. I have a lot of lectures on online courses coming as m4a, with slides that play automatically with the teachers lecture. However Qucktime does not condescend to play my lectures or any of my movies and seems to be set up only to play purchesed movies from Apple. Also iTunes does play the slides, but only as a thumbnail and is sensitive-it disappears if you do anything.

To be QT playable, three conditions must be met:

1. The file container must be compatible with the QT player being used. (In this case the M4A container is compatible with all QT based apps.)
  2. The data contained in the file must compatible with the QT player. (In this case MPEG-2 video would not be "natively" compatible with QT 7-based apps.)
  3. The QT app must be programmed to recognize and play the specific compressed data and file container combination. (In this case the video content is either being ignored since it is in an M4A file container or being ignored because the "still image" is in the wrong compression format.)

As to the display of "image" content, the size can vary for many different reasons. By default, a properly encoded "Enhanced Podcast" created by an Apple app would be limited to a 300x300 pixel area to conserve file storage space but this setting can be deselected if the user so desires. Using this option, images larger than 300x300 pixels are scaled so that the height is 300 pixels. If the width is greater an 300 pixels, then the width is cropped to 300 pixels. If the 300x300 option is deselected, then all images will be scaled to the "native" height of the first image and widths are cropped to the same dimension as needed. Third-party Podcast apps may allow other dimension/aspect settings. In addition, third-party apps that support the use of non-JPEG image compression formats may create preview JPEG "thumbnails" automatically as part of that app's workflow. Without a sample file to examine, it is difficult to tell what exactly is going on in your particular case.

If anyone has another method, please inform. I have found lots of people in similar position to me who can't get the slides to play. Chrome and Safari won't as far as I can tell.

Normally, the preferred method would be to create properly encoded "Enhanced Podcast" M4A files containing AAC audio and JPEG "slides" as images. You should also be advised that "Enhanced Podcasts" are normally delivered via RSS download and so most browsers don't "play" such content unless the webpage has been coded to specifically play the content. (E.g., the Safari QT plug-in automatically downloads the file if the browser is told to open the file's storage URL but will play the file if told to open a webpage coded to play the M4A file:

EXAMPLE 1: This URL points to an M4A file storage location

EXAMPLE 2: This URL points to an old iWeb page coded to play the M4A file

User uploaded file

Jun 29, 2015 3:05 AM in response to John Lockwood

Ok John, thankyou for the corrections about the content of the M4A files that I have to download for my course. I will forward your inforrnation to the school and see if the M$A files they are making up do comply. If they already do, then I may have a problem with my QT, which will not play any AVI content that I have on my HDD, as in backed up movies

Regards, Roger

Jun 29, 2015 3:18 PM in response to Rogermana

If they already do, then I may have a problem with my QT, which will not play any AVI content that I have on my HDD, as in backed up movies

AVI is a generic legacy file container dropped by its developer (Microsoft) more than a dozen years ago in order to develop its more modern WMV software product line. Many of the legacy codecs originally used in the AVI wrapper are no longer supported under Mac OS X. In fact, Apple even turned off "active" support of its own "legacy" compression formats under Lion and, with the current separate and independent playback support structures embedded in Mavericks and Yosemite, even the common "legacy" codecs supported by the Perian codec package are no longer accessible by QT X based apps. The only AVI codec combination still natively compatible with QT X and QL are Motion JPEG video with any of the common LPCM audio formats. (SEE AVI MJPEG/LPCM SAMPLE FILE HERE) And this is not a very efficient combination compared to the current QT 7/X H.264/AAC video default formats. (E.g., the sample file above takes up about 5 times the bandwidth/storage space at a 50% "Quality" setting than a typical H.264/AAC file of the same or higher level of quality.) If you wish to view your old AVI files in their native formats, either use a QT 7 based player with the Perian codec package installed or, probably better, use a dedicated legacy player with its own built-in codec support structure like VLC for playback.

User uploaded file

Watching lecture notes in m4a files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.