Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio "Popping" Noise Upon Export

Hello!

I create Walt Disney World videos for YouTube, and lately I have been noticing "popping" sounds in my audio. This popping sound only occurs in the exported file. The audio I am using in these videos does not have these popping noises and the files range from .mp3 to .aiff. The audio sounds fine until I export, so the problem must be occurring there.

I am using the latest version of Final Cut Pro, 10.2.1. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing Final Cut as well. I am editing on the 13" MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013 Release with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory, and Intel Iris 1536 MB. I have my Libraries located on a 500GB USB 3.0 WD Passport.

I have uploaded an example video of the "popping" audio that persists on my exported video files: https://vimeo.com/131829811

The audio used in that example clip is from the YouTube Audio Library and is an mp3 file. It sounded fine in FCP, this popping appeared after exporting as a Master File with Computer Format, H.264 Better Quality, 1920 x 1080 Res, 48 kHz Stereo, & Quicktime Movie AAC Audio File Format (the root of the problem).

My Project Settings are always 1080p 59.94p Stereo 192kHz Apple ProRes422.

I have been experimenting all day and find that when I export audio only using any audio file format other than Quicktime Movie AAC this problem does not persist. If I were to export a video and then export the audio separately using Export File> Settings> Audio file format> AIFF and then combine them in iMovie and upload that to YouTube, I could work around the popping problem.

I would rather like to figure out a way to export the Master File with an audio file format other than AAC. Is this possible? The AAC export format is what is causing these popping noises, but is there a way to export a video in another audio format without having to export the audio separately? Or a way to change the 48 kHz export quality? Thanks for any feedback!

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 5:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 7:30 PM

To start with compressed audio should never be used in production. Try converting the MP3s and AAC used in production to AIFF or WAV at 48K. Then when you recompress for delivery you should have less problems. The music sounds weirdly compressed though the way it almost drops out through the level changes.

9 replies

Jun 27, 2015 5:53 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I convert all my files to AIFF before using them in production. The example video had very heavily compressed audio to magnify that popping noise I hear in the background of my videos. Since this isn't happening to anyone else, it has to be something with my setup. It may be related to my libraries running off a somewhat slow read/write external hard drive. For my most recent production I just exported the video, and then the audio as AIFF instead of AAC and then combined them in iMovie and Uploaded that as a temporary fix.

Jul 9, 2015 5:25 AM in response to dhodlick

I have been noticing the exact same "popping" noise on a lot of YouTube videos of creators using FCPX as well. Lets hope this bug gets fixed sometime soon!

A simple temporary fix is to export the Master File, and then export the audio separately as AIFF. Then, import them into iMovie, replace the original Master File AAC Audio, and replace with the AIFF audio. Then, export from iMovie and the file created should have pop-free AAC audio and video of the same quality, ready to share! It is a lot of extra work, not to mention that there are other issues in doing this, such as the inability to export in frame rates above 30p etcetera.

Just Fix it Apple!

Audio "Popping" Noise Upon Export

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.