Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP Pavilion 23xw Dual Monitor Issue

I currently have the Late 2012 Mac Mini, 2.5 GHz i5 connected to one HP Pavilion 25xi monitor. I bought a newer HP Pavilion 23xw to use as a second monitor but, obviously, it's not working for its intended purpose. The ports on the back of this monitor include 2 HDMI and a VGA (which I'm trying to use). The HDMI connection works fine, as I tried using my Xbox 360 and it worked just as it should. However, the problem: when I try to connect my Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (official Apple brand) to the computer and then to the monitor, the computer completely locks up (but doesn't shut down). The screen goes very dim on the 25xi monitor, and the mouse and keyboard become unresponsive. On the new 23xw monitor, there is a very strange pixel anomaly in which there are several vertical lines that repeat on a loop. This is when the VGA is active, by the way.

I have some ideas of how I could try to fix this, but I wanted some input (and hopefully a single solution) so I don't have to spend tons of extra cash.

1.) Upgrading to 8GB RAM. I read around and apparently a dual monitor setup doesn't require too much more, but maybe I have some kind of isolated case.

2.) Changing from a VGA Adapter to HDMI Adapter. This is the one that I'm probably going to go with, unless somebody has a better idea. I'm thinking that there is something wrong with the current adapter or cable that's locking up the system.

One more thing: my friend suggested that I try connecting the monitor to a separate outlet, in case there is something wrong with the sharing of amps or something. I tried that today, and it didn't work. Just in case somebody was going to say that.

Hopefully I provided enough information so that you can help me! I have been messing around with this for more than a month now and it's time to solve it. Thank you in advance!

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 4:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 8:23 PM

I would do as much RAM as you can afford. Even if you only upgrade one of the module now and then the other one later if needed.

User uploaded file

I bought and installed a single 8GB module from Crucial almost a year ago. At the time, I had every intension of springing for the second 8GB module and I still might some day, if and when I need more.

As for the monitor issue.....

I think that you are on the right track to move away from the analog VGA connection for the second monitor.

I use dual DVI monitors and so I can can not suggest the best Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter.

But if I did, I would get either the > Belkin Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter or the > Moshi Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2015 8:23 PM in response to ValiantPixel

I would do as much RAM as you can afford. Even if you only upgrade one of the module now and then the other one later if needed.

User uploaded file

I bought and installed a single 8GB module from Crucial almost a year ago. At the time, I had every intension of springing for the second 8GB module and I still might some day, if and when I need more.

As for the monitor issue.....

I think that you are on the right track to move away from the analog VGA connection for the second monitor.

I use dual DVI monitors and so I can can not suggest the best Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter.

But if I did, I would get either the > Belkin Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter or the > Moshi Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter

Jun 26, 2015 1:26 AM in response to ValiantPixel

- If you only have 4 GB of RAM you will not be happy with its performance. At lest 8 GB is recommended. I would replace one 2 GB stick with one 8 GB stick.

- The monitor configuration has really no effect on speed since the operating system steals system RAM for use as video RAM and how much depends upon how mush RAM is install, not the monitor configurtion

Jun 30, 2015 4:32 PM in response to den.thed

Hey, so I just got my Mini Displayport to HDMI Adapter and HDMI cable. Just my luck, it doesn't work either. It has a bit of a better result this time: the computer turns black and the second monitor turns a dark shade of green. It also tells me to "Check Video Cable!" like with the VGA adapter. Is it possible that I got two fake adapters through Amazon? I really don't think so, because I bought them directly through Amazon. Please help me if you can, I've now spent almost $80 on these cables alone and it's really getting ridiculous.

HP Pavilion 23xw Dual Monitor Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.