Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Half of photos disappeared when converting from iPhoto to Photos app

Help!

I have a Mac Mini (Mid 2010) and I updated to OS X 10.10.3 yesterday. Today I opened the new Photos app and "migrated" my photos. Only half made it (those up to mid 2011). I then tried to open iPhoto and it had disappeared (BTW, I don't believe that it was the very latest update of iPhoto). I clicked on "Pictures" in the finder and it only had something to the effect of a "iPhoto.migratedphotolibrary" with 15.86 GB and Photos Library with 16.84 GB. My photos/video in my iPhoto before today must have been between 30-40 GB (the About My Mac storage for photos alone is 55.58 GB (movies 170.72) and I don't have a lot of extra photo/video clutter).

I went into the App store and eventually found a way to upload iPhoto again. When I did, I was able to open the "iPhoto.migrated (etc.) library" and it said that I needed to convert the files to the new iPhoto. I did. They were the same as the Photos Library (only up to 2011). I have a Time Machine (my back-up). The weird thing is that I can go back 9 months and every time, when I click pictures, the iPhoto folder has 15.73 GB. No change. We have added photos to iPhoto throughout that period (I just looked at several of this year's photos yesterday morning.

Now, the good news (I think) is that my storage numbers haven't changed. So the photos have to be in there somewhere. Can you help me get them back?

Thanks.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 9:13 PM

2 replies

Jun 26, 2015 8:25 AM in response to Yer_Man

We might be getting somewhere. I have two iPhoto libraries listed. And when I hover over each, there is a different "users" name. One of them (let's call it "A") opens and shows my pictures up to 2011. The other has the prompt "The photo library needs to be upgraded to work with this version of iPhoto." I had upgraded iPhoto library "A" yesterday. But, when I click on the other iPhoto library and then click the Upgrade button, there is a quick flash of an upgrade bar, and then iPhoto immediately closes. I have tried this several times. Suggestions? Thanks!

Half of photos disappeared when converting from iPhoto to Photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.