Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios crash report due to a third party application

I got this scam while perusing on Safari and now it has locked up my browser and I can't get out of it - can't figure out how to clear my history or get rid of it. I have read all the solutions for the iPhone and iPad - but that doesn't apply to a MacBook Air - and I don't use the mailbox feature on my Mac - so no way to click on a link to open a new tab in Safari - help!

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 8:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 8:46 PM

Choose Force Quit from the Apple menu, close Safari, and then launch it with the Shift key held down. If that doesn't work, temporarily disconnect the computer from the Internet and/or click here and run Adware Medic. You may need to download it from a different web browser.

(129280)

3 replies

Jul 2, 2015 9:17 AM in response to LauraNevitt

I also received this same pop-up on my IOS-8 IPhone last night.

"Due to a third party application in your phone, IOS is crashed. Contact Support @ 1-855-509-5719". I called the number and reached a person who could barely speak English (His name was Jason)

I did not tell him, but I've previously retired for a major telecommunications company and my last job was in our Corporate Fraud Department; so I began asking him a series of questions:"

How do I know that you are really with Apple? He proceeded by telling me that he could show me how to "temporarily fix it, but the fix would only last for 15 minutes- after 15 minutes, the virus would begin downloading all of my personal information so it was imperative that I act fast and for only $69.99 he would clear up all my issues"

Again I told him I doubted the validity of what he was saying, then He said he could prove to me that he really was an apple tech support, He told me to go to settings: find Safari, go to the privacy & security and "Clear History and Website Data" (If you can't get that far, then put your phone on airplane mode, then follow these same instructions and then turn off airplane mode.

Again I told him that I still was not convinced that he was Apple tech support and that I prefer to call them directly and have them fix it; he again used a scare tactic that within 15 minutes my entire personal data would be compromised; plus Apple would charge me a lot more than $69.99. I then asked him for the name that would appear on my credit card statement, he asked to put me on a brief hold, we got disconnected. I was calling from my aunt's cell phone and I did not give him her number, however, he did call me back, caller id reflected 0000 as the incoming callers number. I also asked him what was his email address and the name that would appear on my credit card statement.

They are phishing for your personal information, especially your credit card number, don't give it to them. Apple will never call you like this, that is why there is an apple support telephone number. Anytime you feel the least bit uncomfortable or unsure; hang up. them go to your incoming and outgoing call list, scroll down and click the "Block this caller". It may not work on the caller id 0000, but at least you can try.

ios crash report due to a third party application

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.