Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer Problem

I am running a Epson XP-410. Running as a AirPrint printer. I cannot print from Pages or docs sent to me. I can print some emails others not at all. Most of the time I get blank pages. I have reset the printing system reinstalled the drivers and every other suggested solution I can think of. As a experienced user I understand that print problems can be some of the most difficult to solve. I'm open to ideas. Rather not junk this printer but I've spent enough time on this problem to have purchased another ten times over. Any help would be appreciated.

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jun 25, 2015 9:25 PM

14 replies

Jun 25, 2015 11:09 PM in response to hpr3

and every other suggested solution I can think of.

Please detail ALL you have done so far in the way of troubleshooting? Need this info to avoid the been there done that scenarios.

I have reset the printing system

How? Was it his procedure? OS X Yosemite: Reset the printing system

If you have not already done so, read the user manual that came w/your printer and/or contact Epson Tech support.

Printer and scanner software available for download for your Mac - Apple Support

Get help resolving printer issues on your Mac - Apple Support

==================

OS X Yosemite (10.10)

You are using an out of date OS. May be the reason you are having problems.

Use Software Update/App Store to update your OS to OS 10.10.3. Also, update everything SU/AS has to offer for your computer. When done, repair permissions and restart your computer.

User uploaded file

Jun 30, 2015 3:18 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Tried to test various print scenarios. Will print test page from epson installation software. Will print a saved web archive. Will print a saved mail pic or webpage. Will not print anything from Pages. Will not print a doc from email or a simple email generated by me that says test. Strangely I picked an old email of a confirmation page from one of the airlines and it printed fine. Just weird. Boomer I know this is asking a lot but do you think you could run this past the folks in the lounge for their input? I really would appreciate it.

Jun 30, 2015 7:01 PM in response to hpr3

hpr3 wrote:

Tried to test various print scenarios. Will print test page from epson installation software. Will print a saved web archive. Will print a saved mail pic or webpage. Will not print anything from Pages. Will not print a doc from email or a simple email generated by me that says test. Strangely I picked an old email of a confirmation page from one of the airlines and it printed fine. Just weird.

Some printers have two black ink tanks - one for text printing and the other for enhancing colour prints. What you may have here is that some of the applications are printing with the black meant for colour images, while other applications are trying to use the text black and that may not be working. If your printer does have more than one blank ink, have you tried printing a nozzle test print to check that all ink tanks are working?

If all tanks are working correctly in the nozzle test print, then another possible cause can be the driver. You mention AirPrint in the opening post. Do you mean you are using Apple's AirPrint driver rather than the Epson driver? To check, open Printers & Scanners and select the Epson. The right pane will show the driver being used in the Kind section. If you are using the AirPrint driver, then try adding the printer again, but in the Use menu, change the drop menu to Select software and then browse for the Epson driver and add. Now see if this has the same issue.

Jul 1, 2015 5:15 AM in response to PAHU

Thanks Pahu for weighing in. My printer has only 1 black ink tank. Did run a nozzle test print and all ink tanks are working. In Printers & Scanners the Kind section indicates that the epson print driver is chosen. Ironically Epson issued a new print driver this morning through Apple update. I installed it but the problem persists.

Jul 1, 2015 3:16 PM in response to greg sahli

i don't know which procedure solved the problem but the printer is now functioning properly. Thanks to all. Ill try to spread the love evenly!

One other issue. My settings in the forum for email notifications are turned on but I didn't receive any emails from this thread. Any clue as to what may be causing that malfunction?

Printer Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.