Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 8.1 quirks on bootcamp

Hi there

I’ve got the 2015 Macbook 12 inch and installed Windows 8.1 Enterprise Trial via bootcamp.

I’m not that familiar with Windows 8 so no doubt I’m missing other quirks but these are what i’ve found so far. If anyone can help me with any of these, i’d appreciate it.

• I’ve heard of the usual windows 8 screen resolution issues…but I think that relates to blurry text. Some windows are ok, some windows are blurry (don’t care as these will be fixed in Windows 10?) but others windows, the text is tiny to the point that i've got to squint. Related to this, dialogs and other text containers often have text truncated as the windows / dialogs are smaller than they should be. If you are able to expand the dialogs then you can get the text you need (but then you see that any objects that aren't anchored to the form start manifesting silly behaviours such as one huge ok button and a normal cancel button - etc etc). If you can’t expand the container (e.g. a panel), you lose text. I’ve gone into settings > resolution and it’s at maximum. It’s weird, i’ve seen this so far from windows in the desktop view and not when launched from the tile view.
  • Can’t see trackpad settings. Gone to MS website…it says to go to settings > devices etc but i’m missing the option here. The default scroll is way too fast, it’s the reverse of the mac direction (whether thats configurable in OS X i don’t know but in windows i always scroll the wrong way). And i’d like to be able to use tap, not click. No where I can see options to configure the trackpad
  • Screen brightness. Says max but it’s not as i’ve seen the screen brighten by itself and then revert to dim again
  • Snapview. I tried this on a windows tablet and it’s a really nifty and useful feature. I know how it’s supposed to work. However on the mac and using the trackpad it snaps to the left or right but it’s impossible to get it to divide equally, half left, half right? I’m sure the screen size, resolution is ok for this feature. In fact the behaviour is strange. It always snaps to about 1/4 the side of the screen with the other taking the rest of the screen. When i try to move the divider it creates a big blank space (instead of this space being allocated for the side i'm expanding) adjacent to the side i’m trying to move so when you release to cover the new area it just snaps back to 1/4 screen.
  • No way to maximise the window from snap view. You’re supposed to drag from the top and push the window back to the top again (works on tablet) but it does nothing. I have to close the unwanted application in snap view, which is preventing the other screen from maximizing…then it will automatically maximise.
  • Also for ages i couldn’t figure out how to close an application with the trackpad . In the tablet you drag from the title bar to the bottom of the screen. I could see the ‘hand’ appearing in the tile bar for dragging but upon dragging it, i was getting silly behaviours and the window just snapped back to the original position. I found out eventually that if you drag it really, really slowly it will do what its supposed to. But any faster and it doesn’t do anything.

So anyway, thats a few things i’ve seen so far. For me the inconsistency in the resolution (to be fair, I did see the same behaviour on a windows pc before) is bothering me more than anything. And also the snap view with maximise issues is for all intent an purposes useless…which is a shame as this feature is brilliant and is very useful. Something i’d use all the time.

Anyone experiencing similar problems? Fixes?

Thanks!

MacBook, iOS 8.3

Posted on Jun 26, 2015 12:47 AM

9 replies

Jun 26, 2015 5:16 AM in response to strauss_jon

1. Do you have BC drivers installed? You may want to Boot Camp: Install or repair Boot Camp drivers.

2. Do you have any unknown devices in Device Manager. Please be aware of Bluetooth isn't working in Windows on your MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015) - Apple Support .

3. Screen brightness requires Adaptive Light Sensor driver installed. You can also enable Adaptive Screen brightness in Power Options.

4. You can control the dragging speed in Mouse setup.

Jun 26, 2015 11:55 AM in response to Loner T

Hi, thanks very much for your reply. Unfortunately no changes to be applied...

- All bootcamp drivers installed successfully. Installation went through without any issues.

- Had a look in device manager. No unknown devices at all

- Light sensor driver has the latest version of the software

- There is no mouse or keyboard option in the control panel. I know it sounds bizarre but it's missing. Other guys using bootcamp have reported similar issues but without a resolution.

😟

Jun 29, 2015 7:33 AM in response to Loner T

Hi, yes I've 'repaired' the bootcamp drivers and it's done nothing.

Also windows spent about 4 hours installing 168 updates this morning and still i've got the same issues. After waiting that long, i thought i'd get a new OS - or at least snap view would work...plus i'd see mouse and trackpad options etc. But zilch. no idea what the updates have done. Guess I just have to wait for Windows 10 to come out and keep my fingers x'd that apple keeps the drivers up to date. I don't see other people having the same issues...

Windows 8.1 quirks on bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.