Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook versus MBA as primary desktop in clamshell?

My wife has a 13" MBA that she uses as both her laptop and desktop, the latter running in clamshell with a Thunderbolt Display. This has worked perfectly well for 12 months and I don't see that changing. I was going to copy her set-up (except using my Dell Ultrasharp monitor) and then along came the new MacBook 12" leaving me with a bit of a dilemma. MBA 13"or MacBook 12" ...with retina!!!!

Currently, most of what I do is at my desk, so whatever I buy will currently be in clamshell 90% of the time. But work might change, such that a laptop would come in handy and, anyway, it would be nice to be able to work in the garden from time to time. So I wondered if anyone has experience of running a MacBook in clamshell for long periods and is aware of any downsides?

I know about the USB port issue but am happy to buy an adapter for the monitor and usual USB. That said, my monitor is DVI-D which I hook up to an HDMI port on my old creaking Samsung. I am presuming I can still do that?

I know the MBA would work perfectly well but am tempted by the retina screen (will I notice the difference), new keyboard, and weight (I know I don't travel much but it's cool when I do).

I had thought to wait for a 13" MacBook but having tried a 12", it's pretty obvious that there is no point in a 13" - next logical size up would be 14 or 15".

In terms of use, most of what I do is in the browser/cloud and tried a Chromebox for a while. Sadly I need:

• MS Office for compatibility with work stuff
  • Skype (no the web version doesn't work with Chrome)
  • Fuze - a video conferencing thing
  • Acrobat pro is handy but not essential, for manipulating PDFs

So no special needs such as heavy duty graphics work (I use Pixlr) or gaming - I store everything in Google Drive.

I know another option would be, for the time being, to get an entry level MacMini which is not too expensive. Sadly, I am irrationally irked by there being no mic, no speaker and no unified audio in and out port like on every other Apple device known to humankind!

Gary

MacBook

Posted on Jun 26, 2015 5:54 AM

11 replies

Jun 26, 2015 7:26 AM in response to othermotte2

Sadly, I am irrationally irked by there being no mic, no speaker and no unified audio in and out port like on every other Apple device known to humankind!

There is a small built in speaker, not suitable for listening purposes. The headphone jack does support headphones with built in microphones, like the Apple ones. Simple adapters can be bought to allow separate mics and headphones to be used.

User uploaded file

Jun 26, 2015 7:33 AM in response to Lanny

@Lanny, as I said, I have a Dell monitor not a Thunderbolt and am not intending to buy a Thunderbolt.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about "more limited support for 3rd party monitors"? As you say, the MacBook doesn't support Thunderbolt, so the alternative has to be HDMI?

Are you saying that a MacBook will output a lower resolution than an MBA to an HDMI monitor? If so, can you point me at a spec' or road-test that confirms it?

Gary

Jun 26, 2015 12:48 PM in response to Lanny

well tbh it is just simple, we all know apple products are mostly overpriced but you get a awesome design for it.

been a apple fan since the iphone 3g, but i believe the macbook 12" is by far they most overprices products so far.

i believe besides the storage difference the macbook pro is far more a better choice then the macbook 12"

reasons i would choose for MBP instead MB 12"

+ beter graphics chip

+ beter CPU

+ more connections options

+ no need for 100 adapters to get something connected like the MB 12"

+larger screen size

- less disk space

so these are the things i can mention why the pro. although the price range is a few bucks difference

i still would even Prefer the MBA instead of the MB12"

basicly same reason

MBA has

Better CPU

Almost equal GPU

less memory

bit smaller screen

less hdd storage

but a difference of about 300-400 bucks

do the math and go for the pro or air and ignore the overprices MB

BTW this is my opinion you don't have to agree with it. you still have to make your own choices in this matter

Jul 2, 2015 2:16 AM in response to othermotte2

Just in case someone is faced with the same dilemma, I thought I would say that I went for a MacBook and it is running sweetly on my desk, happily attached to Dell Ultrasharp monitor through the DVI-D input. I already had an HDMI to DVI-D cable and just plugged that into the adaptor for Power/USB/HDMI.

At home, I have the USB adapter attached to a USB hub for a couple of other peripherals and this works fine.

Thanks for the the input of those who replied but in the end a friend of mine and long time Mac user swung it.

MacBook versus MBA as primary desktop in clamshell?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.