Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a Macbook Pro from a pawn shop running on 10.5.8. Can I update to the latest OS

I recently got a Macbook Pro from a pawn shop and it runs wells. It's in good health, from its looks. Top speed. But the system is 10.5.8. Can I update to the latest OS?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 26, 2015 5:59 AM

1 reply

Jun 26, 2015 7:40 AM in response to jordynfromwashington

Choose About this Mac from the Apple menu and check the processor.

If it's a Core Duo Mac, click here, install the DVD, and run Software Update.

If it's a Core 2 Duo or better Mac, upgrade it as if it was a Core Duo Mac, and once done, if desired, open the Mac App Store and try downloading Yosemite. If you get told it's incompatible, go to the online Apple Store and order a download code for Lion 10.7.

Mac OS X 10.7 and newer don't support PowerPC software such as Microsoft Office 2004. If you upgrade the OS, back up the computer first.

(129290)

I have a Macbook Pro from a pawn shop running on 10.5.8. Can I update to the latest OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.