Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung SSD 850 EVO doesn't show up in disk utility

Hello,

I have a macbook pro 2010 running OS X 10.6

I've just bought a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB together with a SATA to usb adapter (nexstar).

I connected everything as requested, switched the adapter on but the disk doesn't show up in finder nor in disk utility.

Another external HD (USB) works fine, if this can help.

I've already read several discussions related to this problem without finding a solution.

Thanks.

Eugenio

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 26, 2015 5:59 AM

19 replies

Jun 26, 2015 10:34 AM in response to eugenio_from_here

Eugenio

Are you going to replace the HDD with the SSD? if so you could attempt to place the SSD in the MBP and take the HDD and attach it to the External USB and boot from the HDD externally

Use these steps to choose a startup disk with Startup Manager:

1. Turn on or restart your Mac.
  2. Immediately press and hold the Option key. After a few seconds, the Startup Manager appears. If you don't see the volume you want to use, wait a few moments for Startup Manager to finish scanning connected drives.
  3. Use your mouse or trackpad, or left and right arrow keys to select the volume you want to use.
  4. Double-click or press the Return key to start up your Mac from the volume you selected.

If you have an optical drive connected to your computer, you can insert an installation disc to see it in Startup Manager. You can also attach FireWire or USB external hard drives that contain an operating system to add to the list of startup volumes. Startup Manager automatically adds bootable volumes as you connect them.

If you have an external time machine back up you can also boot from that and it will give you disk utility options, don't forget to partition the drive and it will take a few hours to re image your drive ( if you MS office it will need to be reactivated)

Paul

Jun 26, 2015 10:38 AM in response to Zoomer911

Are you going to replace the HDD with the SSD? if so you could attempt to place the SSD in the MBP and take the HDD and attach it to the External USB and boot from the HDD externally

That is my final goal, but I want to be sure that everything is working fine before doing it. My idea was to install yosemite on the external SSD and if it works as expected put the SSD into the MBP.

Jun 26, 2015 10:50 AM in response to eugenio_from_here

Eugenio

Down load and try try CARBON COPY CLONER a non apple product but it works awesome https://bombich.com/ and is free to try and can establish a recovery volume on the SSD https://bombich.com/kb/ccc4/cloning-apples-recovery-hd-partition

If you take the HDD out and boot to that in an external configuration with the SSD inside the MBP it should work and allow you to make the recovery partition

Paul

Jun 26, 2015 11:00 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

OGELTHORPE wrote:

eugenio_from_here wrote:

No, unfortunately I haven't any other HDD to try in the Nexstar enclosure, I was referring to an external HDD which I directly connect to the USB port.

Is this a different HDD in a different enclosure? If so, swap out the bare HDD and install the SSD and see if the MBP will recognize the SSD.

Ciao.

It is just a "normal" external USB HDD which I directly connect to the USB port; no SSD, no enclosure.

Jun 26, 2015 11:06 AM in response to Zoomer911

Zoomer911 wrote:

Eugenio

Down load and try try CARBON COPY CLONER a non apple product but it works awesome https://bombich.com/ and is free to try and can establish a recovery volume on the SSD https://bombich.com/kb/ccc4/cloning-apples-recovery-hd-partition

If you take the HDD out and boot to that in an external configuration with the SSD inside the MBP it should work and allow you to make the recovery partition

Paul

Thanks Paul, I don't really want to open the MBP and install the SSD, I want to be able to use the SSD as external drive first.

Jun 26, 2015 11:09 AM in response to eugenio_from_here

eugenio_from_here wrote:

It is just a "normal" external USB HDD which I directly connect to the USB port; no SSD, no enclosure.

I understand. Usually one can take out the bare drive from an enclosure (requires a small screw driver) and if you can, install the Samsung in place of it. Then connect it to the MBP via USB and see if it will be recognized.

Before you can do anything with the Samsung SSD, it has to be recognized and formatted in Disk Utility. Right now, the SSD may be faulty or your Nexstar enclosure is malfunctioning. By installing the SSD in a known properly functioning enclosure should allow you to determine the status of the SSD.

Ciao.

Jun 26, 2015 11:14 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

OGELTHORPE wrote:

eugenio_from_here wrote:

I understand. Usually one can take out the bare drive from an enclosure (requires a small screw driver) and if you can, install the Samsung in place of it. Then connect it to the MBP via USB and see if it will be recognized.

Good point, at the moment I don't have the screwdriver needed to do it; I think I'll try to find another enclosure and test it. Is there any lower level way to check if the HDD is there (like through the terminal)?

Jun 26, 2015 11:24 AM in response to eugenio_from_here

It has to be physically connected. May I assume that you currently have an operating HDD installed in the MBP and the MBP is functioning properly?

As an aside, you will need a #00 Phillips driver and a #6 Torx driver to install the SSD in the MBP.

Select the appropriate video and see what is going to be involved in stalling the SSD:

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/

Ciao.

Samsung SSD 850 EVO doesn't show up in disk utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.