Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express suddenly stopped working, has green light.

First time poster, please be kind as I'm not super tech savvy. Airport Express (A1264) worked great for about 4 years then suddenly stopped mid-morning. Still has green light. Have tried rebooting internet router, AE, and Mac multiple times to no avail. Have tried resetting AE with paper clip. Can connect to internet by running ethernet cable directly to Mac. When I open the AE on the Mac it says something about a self assigned ip address. Would like to figure out if the AE is fixable before I spend money on a new one and have same issue. Thanks in advance for any help given.

AirPort Express 802.11n (1st Gen)

Posted on Jun 26, 2015 5:32 AM

3 replies

Jun 26, 2015 6:28 AM in response to cjferner

When this happened I was running Snow Leopard on my Mac. In addition to my wifi going out, I was unable to load Safari. Chrome worked fine. I assumed my AE and Safari problems were because I was so far behind on OS updates, maybe they just weren't supported any longer, or something like that. So, yesterday, I updated to Yosemite. Safari is working again, but still no AE wifi.

Jun 26, 2015 3:53 PM in response to cjferner

When I open the AE on the Mac it says something about a self assigned ip address.

That would typically indicate that the AirPort Express was not able to establish proper communications with the Internet modem or gateway that it is connected to.

Usually, to resolve this, you would first power-down all of your networking hardware. Then power-up the modem; wait about 10-15 minutes to allow it to properly initialize. Then power-up (plug-in) the Express and allow it to initialize as well. If this doesn't solve the problem then the next course of action would be to perform a "factory default" reset on the Express, and then, repeat the power-down/power-up sequence again.

Airport Express suddenly stopped working, has green light.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.