Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error -36 when copying files

I am unable to copy video files from one external HDD to another. The Folder containing he files starts copying, then stops and gives the message: "The Finder can't complete the operation because some data in "AVCHD" can't be read or written.

No information is copied over (zero KB in the copied Folder).

Permissions seem to be okay, and I'm able to copy the files from the video camera's SDHC card to the desktop without issues (and import them for editing, etc).

I've never had this problem in 1.5 years with this laptop / camera / external HDD combination, nor have I updated any software recently.

I always try to have a backup of my backup (so two external HDDs with identical files / folders).

Thanks!

Posted on Jun 26, 2015 11:29 AM

3 replies

Jun 30, 2015 7:26 PM in response to Alberto Ravasio

The drive is formatted HFS+.

I can copy most Folders from the drive ... except for two.

I've tried Disk Warrior as well as Disk Utility to verify / repair permissions, etc.

I'm trying to copy from one HDD to my MBP's desktop / another HFS+ HDD.

Perhaps there is a corrupt video file in there somewhere ... not sure how to determine that though.

Error -36 when copying files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.