Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook 15" Overheats

Hi, I have a Macbook Pro 15" and my laptop overheats after the first five minutes of use. It especially overheats when I am using a certain software or watch any youtube videos. Some of my softwares are Adobe, Microsoft, Final Cut Pro X, and etc. Also my charger get extremely hot too. One day I took it to the genius bar at the apple store, but I passed all of their tests. So please let me know if their is a solution to this problem. Thank You!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), 15" Macbook Pro

Posted on Jun 26, 2015 10:11 AM

6 replies

Jun 27, 2015 3:32 PM in response to Arjun_Desai

Videos are resource intensive and will tend to stress the CPU/GPU and thus create heat. The question is, is this something to be concerned with or a reflection of normal operation. You might download iStat menus which will give accurate internal operating temperatures of your MBP:

http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

Open Activity Monitor to ALL PROCESSES and set CPU to display values from high to low.

When you MBP gets 'hot', post screen shots of both for evaluation.

Ciao.

Aug 9, 2015 8:36 AM in response to Arjun_Desai

Using the laptop in my lap it gets really hot to the point where I can't have it on my lap anymore. This is not what a "lap-top" is meant to be. The casing is really hot towards the upper end of the keyboard, towards the vents just under the screen. I initially assumed this was the battery, but this happens even when the laptop is plugged in. So, next I would assume the CPU is working like crazy and some application is causing that. However, checking Activity Monitor I'm not seeing any excessive CPU usage by any one application either, except for "ReportCrash" which is taking up 25-30% of CPU time all the time ⚠. So, it's befuddling. It may happen because the computer is indexing (such as Spotlight) in the background.

Macbook 15" Overheats

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.