Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Another device on the network is using your computer’s IP address " even though there are no other devices using it.

I receive "Another device on the network is using your computer’s IP address " several times a day. I've tried it hard wired, wireless, both at same time, hard setting the ip in range and out of range, going back to automatically assign, rebooting all devices involved starting with modem, router and on out to the computers (one at a time after a 15 minute wait). I also saw mention of deleting a file in /Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/ folder and remove the file called "com.apple.alf.plist," and then restart your computer. (this guy said it was a firewall issue which sounded plausible). I performed all these to absolutely no avail. The message still pops up several times a day. Latest OS up to date on a 2012 Macbook Pro Retina with an SSD. Anyone have any ideas where this is being generated?

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Jun 26, 2015 1:06 PM

5 replies

Jun 27, 2015 2:52 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis - well it wouldn't be much of a network then.......However I see your point. I'll have to wait until I have a chance to drop everything else on the network and give this a try. Sometimes it takes several hours for the message to come up. I'm trying also to see what I'm running at the time (program wise). I'll get back to you on this. Thanks

PS - is there a quick way to list all the currently running programs?

Jun 28, 2015 6:01 AM in response to qwertyname

Ok this problem ended up being a conflict with a Direct TV on-demand web unit that was getting an IP from the cable system due to it being powered up prior to the router (research says this was common). I fixed it by turning everything off - DVR, On-demandTV unit, router, Wireless router - then booting them all up from the main router out towards the On-demand unit - one at a time. Apparently when it received a valid IP from the main router - it stopped receiving one from the cable connection - and thus had a now valid IP from the accessible pool - rather than just picking one at random. I'm not clear how it managed to get a duplicate from the same pool (if it knows the pool...then it should get a valid one from it?).....but this seems to have worked. I have not had a duplicate warning since this was performed.

Here's the post I found from a user on the direct TV web site:

Here's the reason you are getting IP conflicts.

When you activate a receiver without any router connection available, the system assigns a IP configuration to the box, independent of the user's home network. The boxes retain those settings so that later when you connect a router, the IP addresses frequently clash with one or more on the home network. There is a routine that will establish new IP for the boxes, in harmony with the network, but plugging and unplugging the W-CCK will only repeat the problem endlessly.

A power off reset is a reliable way to correct the IP problem.It must be done in this order.Before you begin, assure that DHCP is enabled on your router.Also confirm that your router has no MAC filtering or firewall enabled.This is essential.

1. Disconnect AC power from each DVR and Receiver

2. Disconnect power from the W-CCK wireless adapter.

3. Disconnect power from the SWM dish Power Inserter.

4. Disconnect then reconnect AC power on your router.

5. Wait a few minutes for the router to reset

6. Re-power the SWM Power Inserter.

7. Re-power the wireless adapter.

8. Re-power each DVR and Receiver

Following that, press and hold the info key, then select “more system info” and scroll down and confirm that Internet shows as connected.

Hope that helps someone.

"Another device on the network is using your computer’s IP address " even though there are no other devices using it.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.