Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing Duplicated media changes all projects!?

Hi all, doing a trial of the new FCPX and haven't used it since FCP 6. I'm having a problem. I have tried to duplicate projects and media even creating separate libraries and consolidating library media into different folders, but when I edit an project event in one library, it changes the media in all projects and libraries.

I am confused. I need to have a long version and a version split into 2 (intro and full size). I can't seem to make any changes without destroying my original full sized project..

How can I safely duplicate and edit separate copies?

Any help appreciated.

TIA,

Jeff

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 2013 6 Core

Posted on Jun 26, 2015 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2015 2:36 PM

To make a different (shortened) version of a project, control click the project icon (slate) in the Browser. That will duplicate the edits but not the media. The edits you make in the new project should only affect that new project – unless the project contains multi clips or compound clips. In that is the case with your project, then useDuplicate Project as Snapshot and your changes won't affect the other version.

Russ

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2015 2:36 PM in response to Jefferis Peterson

To make a different (shortened) version of a project, control click the project icon (slate) in the Browser. That will duplicate the edits but not the media. The edits you make in the new project should only affect that new project – unless the project contains multi clips or compound clips. In that is the case with your project, then useDuplicate Project as Snapshot and your changes won't affect the other version.

Russ

Jun 26, 2015 3:45 PM in response to Jefferis Peterson

Jefferis Peterson wrote:

I have tried to duplicate projects and media even creating separate libraries and consolidating library media into different folders,

It's hard to know from the description how those actions may have affected your projects. There is no need to do the duplication of media and consolidation.

Could you take a screen shot of your library list with your event open and Browser open?

Russ

Editing Duplicated media changes all projects!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.