Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

zoom and pan (Ken Burns) for an image

I have an image that I want to zoom and pan into that is 1 of several elements on a slide.

The image box must not move and must remain the same size, only the image must appear to pan and zoom a la Ken Burns effect.

I have tried magic moves, Action>Scale (which just scales the picture)

I read somewhere about building a layer mask, but can find no info on how this is done.

Any help in solving this problem is appreciated. I'd prefer not to do it in iMovie, as some seem to suggest

Posted on Jun 26, 2015 3:41 PM

5 replies

Jun 27, 2015 10:57 AM in response to Lance Murdoch

This effect is called picture in picture.

Place a rectangle shape on the slide and size it to cover the whole slide set colour and fill type as needed (this is the mask)

place a second rectangle shape on the slide, size it for that the image will be (this is the hole cutter)

select both rectangle shapes (shift click)

go to Format > Shapes and Lines > Exclude Shapes (a hole will be cut in the mask showing the background)

place the image on the slide, then roughly position and size to fit the hole

send the image to the lowermost layer (arrange > send to back)

fine adjust the size and position of the image

with the image selected, Inspector > Animate > Actions > Add an Effect: choose scale

Jun 29, 2015 3:27 PM in response to Gary Scotland

I realize I should have mentioned it's Keynote 09. The Format > Shapes and Lines > Exclude Shapes is not a menu item.

I tried creating a custom mask in photoshop and exported it as a png hoping to use it as a mask (based on your suggestion) but we can't get that to work either.

Additional suggestions will be much appreciated! Feels so close!

Jun 30, 2015 10:34 AM in response to Gary Scotland

I was almost there yesterday. I created black rectangles around the image and tried to figure out how to apply it as a mask, but that doesn't seem possible. I think being a photographer and used to image masking from black like in photoshop kept me from figuring this out sooner.

By using coloured rectangles replicating my background I was able to get almost 100% there. I lose the drop shadow on the image but by putting a transparent frame on the top layer I get most of the look back (just with some shadowing inside the box.)

Thank you for your invaluable advice. I got a fist bump from the Department manager!

zoom and pan (Ken Burns) for an image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.