Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading imac from 10.5.8 to snow leopard then Yosemite... questions about TIME MACHINE

HI there, title says what I'm doing, but my question is, after I backup everything to TIME MACHINE on an external HD, I will install snow leopard, then download and upgrade Yosemite.

My question is, what is the process for copying my data from TIME MACHINE to my new and improved iMac? I have never done anything beyond backing up. Will TM bring in everything? Data?

Got any other advice before I take the dive?

Posted on Jun 26, 2015 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2015 4:11 PM

Unless a problem occurs or you choose to erase the drive, your data will remain as is, and you won't immediately need anything from the backup. If you do, you can use the Setup Assistant, Migration Assistant, or Time Machine to restore it. Everything on the volume containing Mac OS X, except for cache and temporary files, is stored in it.

(129325)

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2015 4:11 PM in response to Sourpusscandy

Unless a problem occurs or you choose to erase the drive, your data will remain as is, and you won't immediately need anything from the backup. If you do, you can use the Setup Assistant, Migration Assistant, or Time Machine to restore it. Everything on the volume containing Mac OS X, except for cache and temporary files, is stored in it.

(129325)

Jun 26, 2015 4:31 PM in response to Niel

The migration/time machine is before-after the upgrade. It's my understanding that snow leopard is a new install, will wipe everything clean, then the Yosemite is an upgrade. So everything is now backed up in time machine. How do I get my data onto the machine after the upgrade process? Is it just a matter of selecting and copying things to my HD?

Jun 26, 2015 7:52 PM in response to Niel

Hi again...

Ok so I installed Snow Leopard, that was no problem.

Now I go to the apple website, yosemite, click on upgrade and I get a message:

"

The address wasn't understood

Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because one of the following protocols (macappstores) isn't associated with any program or is not allowed in this context.

You might need to install other software to open this address."

I upgraded firefox, upgraded itunes, tried getting to the website with safari, same problem.

this is the address I get when I click the update button:

macappstores://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=915041 082&mt=12&ls=1&ign-msr=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.apple.com%2Fosx%2F

Upgrading imac from 10.5.8 to snow leopard then Yosemite... questions about TIME MACHINE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.